S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering Stiffener

Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Steering Stiffener

Has anyone with a pre-2008 installed the steering stiffener that Honda added to the S in 2008 and 2009 model years? If so, have you noticed any difference? I"m thinking about for my '01 AP1.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:37 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

No one?
Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Has anyone with a pre-2008 installed the steering stiffener that Honda added to the S in 2008 and 2009 model years? If so, have you noticed any difference? I"m thinking about for my '01 AP1.
I have added the larger bar to my '03- I don't have the "ladder" bar which completes the set. At this point, I'm glad its there, but really, on the street, there is no discernible difference. For Autocross, again, it may be a 5% improvement. Don't expect magic but its nice knowing its there. Honda obviously figured it was necessary for something. if you're looking for an inexpensive modification/improvement...go for it!

darcy
Old 09-01-2017, 05:54 AM

Received 3,799 Likes on 2,677 Posts

I've added both supports one at a time from the CR model on my ap1. I can't say it is a huge difference, perhaps adding more steering feel to the slightly numb electric system we have, I'm a firm believer in stiffeners anywhere on the car so I like having them to compliment my other bars. I don't have the rear stiffener bolted in the middle as the CR has since our chassis mounting point is different than the CR, I could probably do it with a long self tapping bolt but for now I just have it mounted on the two ends.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Curious about this mod. Got a part #?
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

The steering rack stiffeners you are talking about are for CR specific models.

If you bought the rear one, it's pretty useless for cars with out a CR subframe as it ties the steering rack to the subframe. Tthe steering racks mounts are casted into the steering rack's body on one side while the other other side is a replaceable mount. The steering rack mounts have rubber bushings pressed into them that allow bolts to locate them relative to the subframe.

The purpose of the CR subframe and CR rear stiffener is to locate the steering rack to the subframe and reduce the amount of play from deflection and twist. Having driven an AP1, AP2 and CRs, the CR has noticeably less dead steering than a standard S2000 - but that little bracket isn't going to do wonders. The 2 stiffeners box the steering rack to the subframe and do it relatively simply and cheaply.

However, a better solution for non CRs is:
Get the X brace ASM or similar solution:

This X brace, ties the Frame (which is strong as F*%$, Subframe and Steering rack together.

Depending on mileage, you'll want to add these Spoon Steering Rack Collars:

These take out any flex in the worn out rubber bushings of a high mileage car.

If you don't want to pay for the JDM components Megan, hardrace and ballade all make suitable substitutions.
These are significantly better solutions than those stupid bars for a non CR
Old 09-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have added this to my '06. Couldn't feel a thing.

However, as gptoyz suggested, I did get the ASM x brace and it felt 50x better. Some people feel like it does nothing, I'm sure it does nothing as well. There isn't any flex and so I don't believe the "stiffness" that I was feeling with the x brace was anything beneficial other than feeling. I should mention this, I did remove the x brace due to going with boost but I have added rigid collars, I haven't driven the car yet due to it still being in the shop, I would recommend the ASM x brace for sure.

The only downfall, you can't use any other intake other than the OEM one or the FIPK IIRC. I went with the ballade intake arm and had to remove it. I felt it get a little more looser in feel but nothing I couldn't deal with. If you plan to stay N/A and still run the oem intake, I'd suggest getting it. Plus it looks really nice in the bay. I also didn't get the ASM one, I opted for the NRG which is absolutely identical except for the nameplate not saying ASM.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eight
I have added this to my '06. Couldn't feel a thing.

However, as gptoyz suggested, I did get the ASM x brace and it felt 50x better. Some people feel like it does nothing, I'm sure it does nothing as well. There isn't any flex and so I don't believe the "stiffness" that I was feeling with the x brace was anything beneficial other than feeling. I should mention this, I did remove the x brace due to going with boost but I have added rigid collars, I haven't driven the car yet due to it still being in the shop, I would recommend the ASM x brace for sure.

The only downfall, you can't use any other intake other than the OEM one or the FIPK IIRC. I went with the ballade intake arm and had to remove it. I felt it get a little more looser in feel but nothing I couldn't deal with. If you plan to stay N/A and still run the oem intake, I'd suggest getting it. Plus it looks really nice in the bay. I also didn't get the ASM one, I opted for the NRG which is absolutely identical except for the nameplate not saying ASM.
is there any x-brace that would fit with k&n fipk?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jsaric
is there any x-brace that would fit with k&n fipk?
They all fit the k&n fipk

Btw just to clarify something, this change isn't going to make your commute to work or costco any more exciting.

The improvement in steering feel and curing the dead play is really for track or autocross driving where that few degrees is the difference between hitting your apexes or making the fine adjustments when the rear starts rotating.