S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering-shaft, rust, normal?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering-shaft, rust, normal?

Yesterday i changed some oil on my S before storing it for the winter, and found something more brown than anything else on the car...

This is what i found: 720p Video (youtube)
This is on the driverside, i belive it is called something like steeringshaft (? - cant find the word for it ).
Goes from the steeringwheel in the coupe down to the front.

Is this how this joint is supposed to look like? I mean, this rubber protection does'nt really do any good, is it broken, should it be sealed???

And most important, i got scared when i saw this... it _could_ eventually break and i will loose my steeringcapability.

Do I need to worry?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

The rubber boot looks normal, it's not supposed to be sealed.

I don't know if it's normal for that shaft to rust faster than other parts, but it is pretty sturdy and I doubt that amount of rust would cause it to fail anytime soon.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The rusty thing in your video (is video the new picture? ) is a steering joint.
It IS rusty
The rubber boot is as it should be, it only covers 3/4 of the joint.
You didn't lift the cover up enough to show the bearing seals.
As long as they are ok, it should not fail.
If I would find a steering joint like that on my car I would replace it, but not stop driving the car while it is ordered.
Spray it all with a good penetrating oil (if you're going to replace it) because you need to slide it up on the splined steering shaft & steering rack shaft - towards the firewall - before you can remove it.
Good luck with that one.....

When you turn the camera towards the firewall, I noticed part of the engine mount is also pretty rusted.
Was the car always parked outside?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by dammitjim,Oct 7 2010, 11:30 AM
The rubber boot looks normal, it's not supposed to be sealed.

I don't know if it's normal for that shaft to rust faster than other parts, but it is pretty sturdy and I doubt that amount of rust would cause it to fail anytime soon.
Odd boot.. How can Do any good like that.
Maybe I just leave it like that. Or put some grease on it. But it looks completely dry
Old 10-07-2010, 12:54 PM

dang, mine was rusty too but it wasnt your kind of rust, mine was surface rust.

I'd bet that someone spilled brake fluid on that (its on the brake fluid/clutch reservoir side) OR you drive somewhere with a lot of salt.

It might be made of "mild steel" instead of an alloy also, since those parts need to not snap in the even of an accident (along with the collapsible part..)
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SpitfireS,Oct 7 2010, 11:34 AM
The rusty thing in your video (is video the new picture? ) is a steering joint.
It IS rusty
The rubber boot is as it should be, it only covers 3/4 of the joint.
You didn't lift the cover up enough to show the bearing seals.
As long as they are ok, it should not fail.
If I would find a steering joint like that on my car I would replace it, but not stop driving the car while it is ordered.
Spray it all with a good penetrating oil (if you're going to replace it) because you need to slide it up on the splined steering shaft & steering rack shaft - towards the firewall - before you can remove it.
Good luck with that one.....

When you turn the camera towards the firewall, I noticed part of the engine mount is also pretty rusted.
Was the car always parked outside?
Hm
I'll see what I (or someone else) can do about it then, cause I know this is going to annoy me even if I cant see it...

I dont know about the parking, this is a 2001 AP1 and it was about 6 months since i bought it, dont really know much about the previous owners parkinglots/garage.
But I'm pretty sure someone drove it during the winter... I cant understand why someone would do that

Strange thing about the boot though, is there a particular reason for the 3/4-cover design? Why not just seal it like other joints?
Old 10-07-2010, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can hit it with some run neutralizer or replace the parts.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:59 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

I have seen hundreds of s2k steering shafts. Even my record high mileage DD customer with 174k, his looks nothing like that.

That car was definitely under salt water. So no it is very not-normal. Even the engine mount is rusting away.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Oct 8 2010, 03:59 AM
I have seen hundreds of s2k steering shafts. Even my record high mileage DD customer with 174k, his looks nothing like that.

That car was definitely under salt water. So no it is very not-normal. Even the engine mount is rusting away.
I grew up in upstate Vermont I would have to say that is without a doubt a Northern Vehicle. Up there when they coat the paved roads with salt you can drive and your entire car looks white and that is no joke. Or someone drove it in the shallow part of the ocean daily
Old 10-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Yes, during winter there is salt on the roads here - thats a fact. Thats one of many reasons why not do drive it then. So maybe it is normal if you use it on salty roads I guess. But I hope honda thought of that when they designed the car as well.

Also, this car has "only" about 43k miles on the dash.
I'll see what I can do about this on monday.
Also i have som mysterious intermittent vibration in low speed I have to check. Could not find any similar threads to that here. No sounds, just a slight vibration in low speeds (1-10mph) and its not the wheels as the vibration is to fast for that slow speed. So probably diff/propellershaft/gearbox. Not the engine as it changes with the speed while in neutral. My mechanic have told me all summer that its because of my R888-tires, but I doubt it... maybe they could enhance the vibration, but its not the source.

Quick Reply: Steering-shaft, rust, normal?