S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering rack question - Resolved! Read

Old 12-10-2010, 05:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering rack question - Resolved! Read

I want to start by saying yes I have searched and searched but the information I have found seems incomplete. So here goes.

I picked up an 03 about a month ago and noticed a little free play. I drives ok but Its getting annoying. I took it to the dealer after reading on here about the rack guide adjustment, so easy enough... I take it in to honda and the mech adjusted the guide but it did not solve the problem. So he put it back the way it was and proceeded to check the frame and other suspension components to find that everything else is normal. he recommended that I replace the rack but also admitted that this is an issue that he has only ever seen once in his career and it only needed adjustment to fix.

They quoted me roughly $2k in parts + $108/hr labor

I thought I would come back here to get a second opinion and see if it could be something else as aside from the play it steers normally...lol

Also I would more favorably consider a used rack possibly from the board here and have a local mechanic install it. Would this be recommended? My last s2k had a good amount miles on it and was fine so I'm assuming this isn't a super common issue.

Any insight would be greeatly appreciated.

rP

*****UPDATE 1*****
I got under the hood today and inside the footwell to see what was going on... I found that someone has been in there already to look around.

I took some pictures of the only thing that really looked odd to me:
I was trying to get the ideal angle to show how the little of this meat is connecting these 2 links. Is this normal? I noticed that the movement is all the way through the column. @ the rack it feels secure but from the steering gearbox to the firewall feels a little jiggly, but I can't really see where anything might be loose.

Also I notice that the input (movement) on the steering wheel is massive compared to what is seen @ the gearbox... is this because of the distance or could it simply be that something is not right before the column gets to the gearbox? I didn't go under the car to see exactly what it looks like on the outside of the firewall is there another joint at the wall on the outside?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, 1st rule of S2K fight club: Never take your car to the dealer, EVER.
2nd, go to an independent mechanic. Dont mention the dealer visit or what you think the problem is, just tell the mechanic what the steering 'does' and have them check it. Most mechanics will not charge for initial inspection.

Also be sure to go to a shop that specializes in japanese imports such as Honda, Nissan and Toyota.

!! AVOID, repeat AVOID shops in gas stations or general auto repair that works on all makes. A good way of telling what a good import shop is is to see what cars are in the lifts when you visit. If you see a buick, pontiac or a mini-van then obviously you dont want these guys touching your beautiful S2K.

How many miles on the car?

Hope I helped
Old 12-10-2010, 11:11 PM

Yes. Brilliant... 64k
Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rosodigital,Dec 11 2010, 12:11 AM
Yes. Brilliant... 64k
Like 2ndtimearound said, joints and end links. 64k is LOW mi for a 03 BUT, everything is now close to 8 years old.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM

You can eliminate the wheel bearing by lifting each front wheel and trying to turn them with your hands.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Banned

^^ What?? Did you mean check?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:47 AM

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^ to eliminate the wheel bearing from the list of possible issues.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM

I checked that myself already. It's definitely in the column/rack. I checked it and the mech @ the dealer confirmed it. Could it be bushings or loose bolts. If there has not been an accident what would cause it to become loose... It honestly feels like only the steering wheel itself is loose the play exists whether the car is running or not.

I will take a video of the play in the wheel... If it's something I can fix myself I would rather that... I know he did not check bushings or joints in the column or the rack.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:01 PM

Video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIvazn-ilwA

I just remembered another detail, when the mech adjusted the guide screw he said it did not remedy the play, it only made the steering wheel not return to 0º after a turn.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Looks like loose joints like said above..

If you cant find anything loose and got to replace the steering rack then id do it urself.. Did mine last weekend cause of a ripped boot when I bought it and was grinding, bought one used off ebay for 150 out of a 06.. new ones go for $700+/-

Really easy to replace I did it myself in about 3 hours.. most the time was taken up by tring to line the steering wheel back up, with an extra hand would make the job alot easyier...

P.s. ive never done one b4 replacing the one on the S last weekend

Quick Reply: Steering rack question - Resolved! Read