S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steering Rack Alignment Lock to Lock

Old 01-28-2021, 02:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering Rack Alignment Lock to Lock

Hello All,

I recently installed a new steering rack onto my AP1. I tried my best to make it so that the wheel turns equally in both directions left and right; lock to lock, however it is still a little short going to the left. On top of that the tie rod threads are uneven on both sides. This is after getting an alignment, so my front toe is actually 0. Is there a straight forward way to make it so that it is even lock to lock in both directions that anyone with past experience can chime in on?
I am guessing I'll have to disconnect the joint on the steering rod connecting to the rack and adjust it from there? But then again the tie rod threads are mad un-even on both sides. Should I completely max of the threads on both sides and put the wheels as straight as I can and then connect the rod again or is there a better way to just focus on evenness of the lock in both directions not paying attention to the toe threads so that I can drive back to the alignment shop without having to adjust toe myself? Any help will be much appreciated.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:55 PM
JHo

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Turn the wheel all the way to the left. Note the orientation of the bottom spoke of the steering wheel. Now turn all the way to the right. The wheel should look like a mirror. For example when going left it’s at 9 o’clock it should be at 3 o’clock on the right.

if it’s not even you have to adjust the column to rack. You can do this at the rack joint or remove and realign the steering wheel (of course steering wheel requires not messing up the clock spring).

once you have the steering wheel aligned to the rack you can then align the wheels.
Old 01-28-2021, 05:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I understand that it needs to be even in both directions. What I am trying to figure out is the method in which it is done to achieve that.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:24 AM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by oliversok
I understand that it needs to be even in both directions. What I am trying to figure out is the method in which it is done to achieve that.
The person above just told you though...

Put the front up on jackstands.

Center the steering wheel in the road wheel "straight ahead" position.

Use a peice of tape at 12 o clock on the steering wheel to help you.

Use the steering wheel spoke angles as a guide to show yourself how much to adjust. Then do the lock-to-lock test. You're just trying to get the lock to lock evenly spaced.

Example...
Measure your steering wheel turns lock to lock.
*For this example* lets say you have 2.5 turns lock to lock....
  • turning 1.25 turns left from center should lock the steering wheel with the tape facing "3 o clock".
  • Turning 1.25 turns to the right should return to center at "12 o clock".
  • Turning 1.25 more turns to the right should lock the rack with the tape facing "3 o clock" (the opposite of 9 o clock).

If it isnt even....

Unbolt the coupler in the engine bay and adjust the steering wheel's angle by "one tooth" or so until you've got it centered.

Remember...I'm making up the numbers to give you an example. Measure your own.

Get it?

FORGET about the road wheel alignment for now. You will need a road wheel alignment after this. Once you're done adjusting...your car will drive straight..but with the steering wheel crooked.

I would strongly suggest you be extremely careful with the clockspring ...or just remove the clockspring while trying to dial this in. Look up how to do this before doing it though.

The tie rods cannot center the rack. Imagine the car had no tie rods even attached at all and you had the car on a lift or jack stands (completely taking the rods and wheels out of the equation). Your problem would still exist exactly the same way it does now. KnowwhatImean?

Adjust the steering wheel's range of motion first (center the rack).

Then go get a road wheel alignment to match that steering wheel "center".

Think of the steering wheel and road wheel alignments as two "isolated" systems.

A few notes....

As long as the alignment person sets the road wheel dead ahead during the alignment, your car will go straight with the steering wheel pointed straight.

But regardless whether the steering wheel is set dead ahead for the wheel aligmmemt...your rack will still be centered.

Regardless of whether the wheel alignment makes the tie rod lengths evenly spaced...the rack will still be centered. If your tie rods are super uneven, though, it may indicate a subframe shift or bent suspension member.

Last edited by B serious; 01-29-2021 at 03:57 AM.