S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is the steering rack adjustable?

Old 11-10-2009, 09:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It is the same for ABS as it is EPS. You have to be holding the steering wheel to the 45 degrees to the right when you turn on the car. If not, the ABS system will flash out it's pending codes.

So short, turn 45, turn on car. In that order (see Pic of doc above for whole process)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:51 AM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts

ninja edit on my above post, BTW.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

The installation of the steering rack, and alignment are now your issue. Here is what I think happened.

The steering rack was installed, and the rack was not centered. The tie rod arms were installed, and adjusted with the rack miss centered. I.E. They did not install the tie rods evenly. they just screwed them on and they adjusted your alignment. When they aligned the car, they could not adjust the alignment properly. I would better the you have a bent lower and/or upper control arm too

These caster settings ( "6.8 degrees on one side and 8.9 degrees on the other side.") on a perfect car would result a heavy steering wheel, that would not return to center.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM

lol...this is a nightmare. How do you center a rack?

I might have to take the car somewhere else to be aligned and just flip the body shop the bill.

I'll have to get underneath the car to see if there's any other parts that are bent. The side with the impact had more neg. camber than the side without the impact. I don't think the LCA is bent.

The car hit a tire wall at a track. The rack broke because the tire was turned. I don't really think there'd be a bent arm.

The body panels on that side weren't absolutely CRUSHED...just dented. The impact wasn't enough to cause any frame damage. The headlight on that side was even fine. The fender area over the wheel was pretty much untouched. The fender was bent behind the my RF wheel from a tire wall tire pushing it in.

It really wasn't a huge impact.

The funny thing about all this is that the rack acts normal when the car is not moving. It feels just like it used to. The heavy steering starts when I start moving. That could be because of the caster.

But....the wheel won't return to center on either side. And the wheel only freezes up at about 45 degrees from straight ahead. It returns to 45 degrees and then just stops. I can put the wheel where I need it to be and go through the curves in my neighborhood without touching the wheel again until the curve straightens out.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:15 PM

Ok...so I had the car up on a lift today to see WTF is going on.

Nothing else looks bent. BUT..if I grab the wheels and try to turn them while they're in the air, they're REALLY hard to turn side to side.

The steering wheel is also overly stiff even when the car is in the air.

This really pisses me off. The body shop took the car over to Honda. Honda test drove the car and used 1/4 tank of my gas to return the car to me in the same condition. The thing that makes me the most angry is that they did all this with a comment at the bottom of the work order that says "problem is fixed" or something like that.

I'm going to call them tomorrow. I have a friend who is a tech at the dealer. I guess I'll just ask him if I can request him to be the only person working on my car and to see if I can get this fixed either for free or have them charge the body shop.

I'm not paying for this dammit.