S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Is the steering rack adjustable?

Old 11-02-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 1,376 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Default Is the steering rack adjustable?

Just got my car back from the body shop. They put a new rack in it. The steering wheel is very stiff and does not return to center...does not return AT ALL.

Even if I turn it sharp, it will stay at that angle. The alignment was done. The suspension itself wasn't damaged. Just the rack and inner tie rod. I hit a tire wall at a track.

Is there an adjustment on the rack? I'm taking the car back to them to fix it...but I'm just wondering kind of out of curiosity.

It's a brand new rack from honda...which...BTW, costs $1200!!!! without tie rods.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:55 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

You need to have the Torque Sensor neutral position relearned. You can do it your self.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM

wow. Thanks for the very informative post. I will take this to the body shop as I don't have a scanner.

Would that help just the return or would it help the stiffness of the steering wheel also? I feel like there's way more effort to turn the wheel now. The EPS is def. working and the light is off.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:16 AM

You don't use a scanner. You can use a jumper wire. Unless the car is going to the dealer, they are not going to be able to figure this out. When I had the issue, I had to reset it myself.

You use a jumper wire to jump PIN 9 to PIN 4 in the ODBII connector. That connection is step 3. You can do this at home.

yes, it is the reason your steering feels heavy and the wheel does not return to center properly. You alingment could be a problem as well. Get it checked by a good alignment short. Body shops suck for alignments.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe, i just went through this

except my rack only cost 175. majestic honda has em for 800
Old 11-03-2009, 09:46 AM

Cool. The car had to go back anyway because of some other small items that weren't in order.

I printed out and gave them the procedure you posted. The less work I have to do the better. They got paid to do the repairs...not me.

The body shop has been really good with working stuff out with me so far...there were a LOT of things I wanted done to the car besides the repairs...so small issues don't really bug me as long as they fix them all.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 AM

hmm...the body shop took it to Honda and Honda decided that that's how the rack should feel.

WTF? It feels like garbage...definately not what it felt like before.

I don't know if they just drove it or if they even actually tried reprogramming it.

:sigh:...I'm gonna have to just do it myself.

Stratocaster, can you tell me how to count the pins? As in how do I know which end to start counting from so I know which one #9 and #4 are.

I guess I'll also have to check the alignment out. They have a print out at the body shop. So I'll have to see if they didn't dial in enough caster or something else.

Thanks.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 AM

I know all OBD2 stuff on every car is identical as far as the DLC connector goes...

Is this an accurate pin out?

http://www.gendan.co.uk/article_3.html
Old 11-05-2009, 09:31 AM

Pins 1, 8, 9 and 16 are labled on the connector. that looks right to me, but I always referance the numbers on the connector to be sure.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by B serious,Nov 5 2009, 11:49 AM
hmm...the body shop took it to Honda and Honda decided that that's how the rack should feel.

WTF? It feels like garbage...definately not what it felt like before.

I don't know if they just drove it or if they even actually tried reprogramming it.

:sigh:...I'm gonna have to just do it myself.

Stratocaster, can you tell me how to count the pins? As in how do I know which end to start counting from so I know which one #9 and #4 are.

I guess I'll also have to check the alignment out. They have a print out at the body shop. So I'll have to see if they didn't dial in enough caster or something else.

Thanks.
This is exactly what happened to me. Three Honda dealers told me that without a code, there was nothing they could do. As much as I pushed them, they did nothing.

So I did it myself. It was easy. Just get a flash light, look at the numbers on the connector.

Quick Reply: Is the steering rack adjustable?