S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steel braided brake lines

Old 04-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a old OEM brake line at home.
I can chop it up and take a picture of it tonight. From what I remember they DO have steel braids under the visible rubber coating. I think the bigger issue is weakening at the attachment points. ie... changing your pads and just hanging your caliper from the ABS line and brake line. DO NOT DO THIS. Grab a coat hanger and hang that up. Just leave the coat hanger in your tool box.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kobsession
I can chop it up and take a picture of it tonight. From what I remember they DO have steel braids under the visible rubber coating. I think the bigger issue is weakening at the attachment points. ie... changing your pads and just hanging your caliper from the ABS line and brake line. DO NOT DO THIS. Grab a coat hanger and hang that up. Just leave the coat hanger in your tool box.
Agreed. I've used pull ties and jack stands to support the calipers while changing pads. No reason to let them dangle by the brake line.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts

Updated my original post. It was missing a key bit of info wasn't it.

The weave is not metal it was fibrous and easily cut with razor blade.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1064906...1/MiscPictures
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kobsession
yeah thats all fine and dandy but then how are you supposed to hang your coat up???
Old 04-02-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.google.com/search?q=coat...K-u50AHavd3MDQ

Old 04-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Installed the Challenge brake lines. Very happy with the fit and finish and factory mountings. Lengths are perfect.

I used the factory banjo bolts and sealing washers. The quality is superior to the challenge hardware.

Factory sealing washers are not copper. They are stronger, come out like brand new, and can take added torque over the copper.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Installed the Challenge brake lines. Very happy with the fit and finish and factory mountings. Lengths are perfect.

I used the factory banjo bolts and sealing washers. The quality is superior to the challenge hardware.

Factory sealing washers are not copper. They are stronger, come out like brand new, and can take added torque over the copper.
can you still use gravity brake bleeding method after installing the stainless steel brake lines?
Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

Yes you can. It will get 95% of the air out, sometimes 100%. So...

I would recommend 2-3 bleeds under pressure after a gravity bleed on each wheel.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 3,771 Likes on 2,661 Posts

good to hear your review of the brake lines Billman250, while I used the banjo bolts and washers that came with the kit I do agree that that Honda parts are more substantial and I eventually went back to using them after I swapped brake caliper systems. They both worked fine and torqued up fine for me but I like the design of the Honda parts a bit better.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pinky
Updated my original post. It was missing a key bit of info wasn't it.

The weave is not metal it was fibrous and easily cut with razor blade.

https://picasaweb.go...21/MiscPictures
Ahh you beat me to it!
I will also confirm that OEM brake lines are NOT metal weaved in the middle. They are fibrous mesh with plastic/rubber layed over top to seal.
FWIW, I was able to cut the brake line in half with regular scissors. I put the fitting from one end in a vise, clamped on to the rubber brake hose with vise grips. and pulled and twisted like crazy. I was very suprised at how difficult it was to break the hose after this. When it finally did break, it was the hose that broke. The hose never did come out of the fitting (one that goes to hardlines on the car).

Next, I will pull on the other end of the brake hose. I suspect that the caliper side of the hose will be much weaker (heat), but we will see.

Quick Reply: Steel braided brake lines