S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Steel braided brake lines

Old 03-16-2012, 02:45 AM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I think the pedal in the car is great. With ATE blue and HT10 hawk pads, the performance is amazing.

My biggest issue is safety. This will be my 9th Wake The Dragon, and I run the car harder than anyone there. The amount of heat pouring off the brakes is hugh, and it is looming in my mind that one of the stock brake lines could fail. They are rubber. And rubber, with time and heat cycles, can dry out, harden and fail. I know the inner casing is of stronger material, but it all starts somewhere.

Lets face it, any nylon or rubber exposed to enough heat will melt. Ever since I heard of the guy who died on the track in his S2000 due to a stock brake line failure, I think it is a sign.

The stock stuff is top notch. I've seen Ford rubber brake lines literally rust out on the ends and just pop off from street drivng. In 6-7 YEARS TIME. Honda obviously spends alot more on plating and protection of their components.

I do feel anyone who tracks their car or does a lot of high speed braking (rotors and calipers hot enough to burn your fingers) should invest in braided lines.

I actually have a set of Challenge lines sitting here. Was wondering about their quality. They appear top notch.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:50 AM

Received 3,770 Likes on 2,660 Posts

If you have the Challenge brake lines give them a try, I think you will find them to be quite good. GT Motoring has tested quite a few parts on their Time Attack vehicles which would be a pretty good testing ground. I'm fairly easy on mine for daily driving purposes but they have worked well. If you have any questions on them Greg at GT Motoring is a solid guy/vendor.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i just put Goodridge lines on mine, the pedal feel is great. No issues with the old OEM lines other than being 11 years old and just not wanting to have the potential for a line failing at the dragon too. The Goodridge ones are not coated(i would have like that too) and they have similar mounts to other lines I have seen. Over all I have been happy with the great feedback they give. Also upgraded to Science of Speed rotors(for better cooling), with new Hawk front pads and OEM rear pads.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, I put the Challenge lines on my car after WTD last year. We talked about it a lot and I wanted them on for the season of track driving. They are great and quality of the product is top notch. They meet all criteria you put in the OP.

-Mike
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Now im starting to worry abouy my lines I will inspect everything soon, I guess its not a bad idea to replace the lines for 100$ or so. Car is 12 years old+
Old 03-16-2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Now im starting to worry abouy my lines I will inspect everything soon, I guess its not a bad idea to replace the lines for 100$ or so. Car is 12 years old+
Definitely a good idea , that was my thinking when I did mine, relatively low cost upgrade and pretty easy mod.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:06 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

where did you buy and total cost if you dont mind?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
where did you buy and total cost if you dont mind?
I bought mine from GT Motoring, I've done quite a few purchases from them so I like dealing with them. Greg is a great vendor, they are in the Chicago area, and site sponsors. I don't remember the total price but they are in the $100 range plus shipping. GT Motoring has the Challenge lines, I think it is their own line. I like them because they feature the clear plastic coating on the exterior for added protection. gtmotoring.com
Old 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm pretty sure the stock lines are embedded with stainless mesh. They are just like hydraulic hoses, because they are. I guess externally wrapped lines are ok, but the current ones are a very well engineered piece of equipment. I'd be surprised if they added any mush to the pedal at all. I would definitely go with a coated braid if you go with that. Debris will eat the lines under a uncoated braid. I've seen it happen on heavy equipment at the articulation points.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I dont think the stockers contain any steel. I think its a nylon core.

Quick Reply: Steel braided brake lines