S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

STAW AWAY from tirebuyer.com

Old 12-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by realblag
You need to start with the tire pressure at 32 psi (cold) on both sides.

OK..my tire and wheel knowledge is limited so -

1 - You mean deflate them each to 32psi and go from there based on how they perform??

2 - what do you mean by cold on both sides?? As in when the air temp is cold in the morning before the sun has heated up the tire??
Old 12-13-2012, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You should not be bashing the company if you don't understand tires, and can not inflate them properly.

1. Your tires need to wear in for a while before they feel planted.
2. An S2000 with tires inflated that high is unstable because of the tire pressure, not the tire.
3. You bought tires that are advertised on value and economy, for a sports car that you seem to drive aggressively.
4. You used the tires, if you don't like the grip and they are advertised the tire as high performance, blame the tire manufacturer, not the tire retailer. You can get 70% of retail on ebay selling them if you take them off now. Don't expect a company to take them back though, that is like trying to take back underwear to the retailer because you didn't like the fit, you need to check the size and rating before you install them.

Long story short, you are getting emotional about a techical problem. You need to understand the problem before you try to fix it.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Kmelthratter
You should not be bashing the company if you don't understand tires, and can not inflate them properly.

1. Your tires need to wear in for a while before they feel planted.
2. An S2000 with tires inflated that high is unstable because of the tire pressure, not the tire.
3. You bought tires that are advertised on value and economy, for a sports car that you seem to drive aggressively.
4. You used the tires, if you don't like the grip and they are advertised the tire as high performance, blame the tire manufacturer, not the tire retailer. You can get 70% of retail on ebay selling them if you take them off now. Don't expect a company to take them back though, that is like trying to take back underwear to the retailer because you didn't like the fit, you need to check the size and rating before you install them.

Long story short, you are getting emotional about a techical problem. You need to understand the problem before you try to fix it.

Well.. You might be assuming i did the install myself...I didn't install or inflate the tires. A shop did, so if they are underinflated I’m not going to know until I have to check, which I just did. I’m not in the habit of checking an auto mechanics work, as most of my clients don't check my work either..they count on me to do the job right...so as for me not properly doing this job or inflating the tires correctly, that's now a moot point.

I bought the right size tire for my car. As a person who is using his S for daily driving an all season is what I want until about May or June. I had all season on before these tires with no issues what so ever. I’m not a mechanic and like any other consumer who shops for tires. You know your tire size, search the site and chose a tire. Researching won’t provide me much, because maybe these tires on another S would run fine but for some reason on mine won’t run fine.

If the tire is not recommended for the car, tirebuyer should alert customers about this and not allow searching on their site via tire size only without accepting a disclaimer, saying even if the tire is the right size if the tire isn't recommended for your vehicle there is a no return policy. But I don't want money back, just an exchange... but whatever I’m over it already... hopefully it was just the tire inflation..

And yes..I’ll continue to bash that company. Forget the tires, their customer service was horrific...and as someone who has his own customers that I service every day, I know what it means to provide good customer service.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
Well..i just went and got a tire pressure gauge. The tire is supposed to be inflated to max 44psi.

My testing showed -

Drivers rear - 42psi
Passengers rear - 35 psi.

So i filled the one tire from 35 to 42 and filled the gas tank. The fill only took a quick second so i double checked and made sure the tire had added psi from the 35.Havent been able to test the car but ill let you guys know if that was the issue.
You should read your car's manual and look at the sticker inside the driver's door... ALl the infos you need are there.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bash on then about the customer service and quality of work then, not the fact that they would not return a used tire. A tire search engine is not a person though, and if you don't have time to research what you need you might be better off with somebody that does have good customer service and can recommend a tire that suits your needs. That will be hard to find considering a tire shop pays its employees $10-12/hr pretty often. Next time buy tires from a local speed shop, they all buy from the same distributors as everyone else, and will double check their work. I worked at a local one for 9 months, we double checked everything to the point where we had to sign a check list. S2000's are super sensitive to air pressure, and when I put brand new Kumho Ecsta ASX's (solid tire for a commuter S2000) it was intial very unstable, but it "wore in". I think with our cars the drive wheels have camber, which means the car is riding on the inside shoulder of the tire until it wears in to more of a cone shape.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
Originally Posted by realblag' timestamp='1355425987' post='22208550

1 - You mean deflate them each to 32psi and go from there based on how they perform??

2 - what do you mean by cold on both sides?? As in when the air temp is cold in the morning before the sun has heated up the tire??
A car that has been parked for a while has cold tire pressure. After you drive a car for a bit, the friction of the tires on the road heats the tire and subsequently the air inside. When the air is heated, it expands and makes more pressure. This is warm or hot pressure. The sticker inside the door opening has the OEM tire inflation recomendations for front and rear tires. It is 32psi cold. All tires should be filled to OEM specs. If you wish to change handling of the car, you can change the inflation a few psi at a time (+ or -) to suit your driving needs. Changing the pressure at the front or rear by small amounts can have drastic effects on the car. One of the most important tools in a mechanic's tool box at the track is his/her tire pressure gauge.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by realblag
Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009' timestamp='1355426241' post='22208565
[quote name='realblag' timestamp='1355425987' post='22208550']

A car that has been parked for a while has cold tire pressure. After you drive a car for a bit, the friction of the tires on the road heats the tire and subsequently the air inside. When the air is heated, it expands and makes more pressure. This is warm or hot pressure. The sticker inside the door opening has the OEM tire inflation recomendations for front and rear tires. It is 32psi cold. All tires should be filled to OEM specs. If you wish to change handling of the car, you can change the inflation a few psi at a time to suit your driving needs. Changing the pressure at the front or rear by small amounts can have drastic effects on the car.
[/quote]

Got it thanks a lot..

Just went outside where the car has been sitting a couple hours. Both rears are now at 32 psi. fronts are at 27 each so ill add to them later. Great info guys thanks a lot for helping out..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Speed ratings on tires is mainly how fast you can drive on them before they are in danger of blowing or coming apart, not how fast your car can corner on them. The same tire in a different speed ratings will most likely handle close to the same. A cheap all season is unlikely to corner well no matter what the speed rating is.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

Like others have said, I don’t blame them for not taking them back after they were mounted.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by rjones
Speed ratings on tires is mainly how fast you can drive on them before they are in danger of blowing or coming apart, not how fast your car can corner on them. The same tire in a different speed ratings will most likely handle close to the same. A cheap all season is unlikely to corner well no matter what the speed rating is.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

Like others have said, I don’t blame them for not taking them back after they were mounted.

In reality.. i was much more pissed off about their customer service. Really unprofessional.. i guess as someone who makes sure he provides top notch customer service to his own clients i guess i was expecting the same back. I admit it was naïve to expect that from tirebuyer...

Im about to leave work with the tires cold at 32 psi... full tank of gas so there is weight on the tires... ill see how she does..
Old 12-13-2012, 01:34 PM

OK… I have egg on my face..well kind of..

Once I dropped the pressure in the tires to 32 cold the car drove normally. I guess what happened was the shop didn’t inflate the tires correctly, and I was the dummy for not checking their work. Thing is I brought the car to them twice and they redid the whole job..So I never thought to check.

As for tirebuyer my feelings still stand. I’ll give to the fact that they won’t take the tires back after they are mounted..Why Town Fair Tire did that for me a few years ago I can on;y assume was awesome customer service. Customer service at tirebuyer is really bad. They never call back, don’t respond to emails and pretend they never spoke to you before when you call back and finally track down the original support agent you were talking too. That’s unacceptable..if someone has a physical defect in a tire, how are they supposed to get a new tire with customer service like that??

I have worked for a few members here. If any of them came to me within 48 hours and told me that the work I did for them wasn’t right and they weren’t satisfied, id be all over it. Even if I have to take a hit I make sure my customer is happy. Like I said earlier, it was naïve of me to expect the same from anyone else.

Quick Reply: STAW AWAY from tirebuyer.com