S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Startup shudder

Old 03-21-2007, 06:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Startup shudder

I only had time to read through the "WHAT NOT TO POST IN HERE" sticky. and my question seems to fit the bill of a legitimate one. so here goes.

when i start my car Anytime the engine is cold, it starts the normal idle at about 2-2.5k rpms and gradually decreaces right?? normal.

when my car is already warmed up, and i go to start it, i sometimes feel and hear this awful shudder, like you are learning manual for the first time and are about to stall the car, i notice that the RPMs drop very near the bottom on my tach, and within a second or so (not long but this problem still bothers me) it evens back out and regains its 1,000 rpm idle as it normally would.

this problem even happens sometimes in stop and go traffic, where i am constantly putting back in my clutch and dropping to a neutral idle. i will feel the shudder as i come to a stop with the clutch engaged..

i suppose my questions are:

-what could be all the possibilities that could be causing this problem?
-what should i do to fix this problem?
-what would it cost/other info anyone has on this that would be of help.

just trying to look out for my baby, so thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 AM

i also apologise if this has been covered to death before, but i am in a rush.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 AM

Here is some good info
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=386868
Old 03-21-2007, 06:40 AM

thanks a bunch milkbubble.

my next question is then... given that i have had the car for about three months now and have had this problem noticeable within the first week or two of owning it (i also usually dont give it gas, i only started doing that recently because it bothers me so much, but i notice ehwn you do give it gas and it drops back down, it will bounce off that 300-400 mark and shudder AGAIN. so i just let it shudder itself out.

i suppose i can still try to drive it out for a week or two, never gassing it when this occurs, or do you think i should go with one of the other options judging by my symptoms?
Old 03-21-2007, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by *JDM_Night.LIFE*' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:32 AM
i also apologise if this has been covered to death before, but i am in a rush.
That's such a pathetic excuse for posting a repeat question. If you want to keep devaluing other member's contributions to this forum then keep on posting stuff like this, you're on your way to making everybody's ignore lists. You can use the search feature just like everyone else, rush or not, learn to use it. IF you were really in such a rush why did you tolerate this problem for 3 months before posting about it? Now, I'll end my flamage.

As to your problem, I'd first try unplugging your map sensor and cleaning the connectors. You can also try the infamous map whack. Finally, if the symptoms don't go away try pulling the backup fuse for your ECU and then performing the idle relearn procedure (do a search for it ). All of these are extremely easy procedures and can be performed all at once within the span of an hour. Try the easy stuff first, if that doesn't work then go from there.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:23 AM

thanks for your help 90crvtec.

i suppose you could look at it that way, but i have been a forumgoer for a while not just here and i know how irritating it can get. so i suppose if an apology is somehow misconstrued as an excuse for laziness, so be it. but reguardless, that is why i apologized. i only learned a few minutes later that it was a very commonly asked question thanks to milkbubble.

one good thing that does come of recurring threads though is a more comprehensive search directory!! lol

i will try to do some of those things later on today if i get the time, and i will post my results back here to keep the problem status updated. hopefully it gets fixed though.

once again thanks guys
Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM

i read the step by steps and just want to make sure i have this right before i do it later today..

-remove clip to MAP sensor

-firmly (but not too firm) whack the sensor a couple (ten) times

- when placing back the clip to the snsor wiggle it around untill it firmly "clicks" back into place

-reset ECU

-start car and let idle for ten minutes so that the ECU can properly readjust the air flow and conditions that it should idle at.

is this correct???

also, i remember two methods for resetting the ecu, i did the hard way on my integra so as to AVOID needing my radio code since i did not have it at the time.

i went through all the trouble of removing the interior panels and finding and unpluggin the ECU at its source, and it still reset my radio and i needed the code.

i just dont want that to happen with my s2k.... although i do have an aftrmarket radio so i should be fine correct???

i swear im almost done asking questions.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM

90crvtec,

Take it easy man. Yes this is a repost question but at least it was phrased in English, wasn't full of slang, informative about the exact problem, wasn't in all caps, etc.

JDM,

Your car is fine man. My car does the exact same thing. If you've been getting wild temperature swings from day to day, the ECU will need a little time to catch up. Don't give it gas and just be patient. Give the map whack a try but I am confident that everthing is a-ok.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:12 AM

You can reset the ECU without needing the radio code with the aftermarket radio.

Instead of disconnecting the battery. You could just pull the ECU fuse. That seems to be simplier to me anyway. Gluck!
Old 03-21-2007, 08:24 AM

You should clean out your IAC with carb cleaner. Your car has 90k miles on it I would be willing to bet that that thing is gunked up. I dit it on mine and the problem that you are explaining went away.

Quick Reply: Startup shudder