S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

starting up in serious cold

Old 01-13-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Jan 12 2005, 10:52 PM
Seems as though this is an S normality. Mine started doing this in the beginning of December ever since getting "cold" here in Oklahoma. Mine usually does it if it drops into the low 30's (F) and below. It'll stumble and stall on the first try and the start up fine on the 2nd.
There is a problem with your car. It should start first time no problem when it's that "cold".
Old 01-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No disrespect WOODSON, but there is no problem with his car. My car did it as well. It is 11110% the Honda battery. It is extremely weak in the cold. My car started and idled at like 50rpm for like 5 seconds, and then stalled. The spark is too weak. I got an Optima and starts right up. Nothing in a car (stock car with normal oil, not summer only oil) gets influenced by the cold other than a battery.

On a side note.....the Stock panasonic battery that is on the s2000 and RSX is extremely sensitive to cold weather. The CCA on those batteries at 0F is almost nothing.

BMW, RSX and S2000 are very sensitive to this. (Ive had a lot of experience in this particular department)

And to the people experiencing weak and slow cranks.....again, the battery is fine, its not dead, but it cannot take the cold. A brand new Honda battery will do the exact same thing. Swap for a Yellow top, and you will see a HUGE difference. 1-2 cranks MAX to start the car in ANY temp.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:58 PM

Mine works fine and it's minus 30 degrees here.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 PM

btw, -30 C = -22 F
Old 01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Former Moderator

How long do you let your car sit (between starts?)
And it starts right up without like 10 cranks?
If overnight, THAT is odd.....
Old 01-13-2005, 02:31 PM

All day. i.e. 8 hours (garaged at night)
Two cranks maybe? (same as summer)
Plugged in, which makes it turn over easier, but does not warm the battery obviously.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:33 PM

All of our hondas have always cranked over slowly in extremely cold ocnditions, but always start. Don't know if its really the battery. I've gone through 2 batteries in my 92 accord over the years and they all do the same.
With the S i notice that it would start up fine in the cold and rev up, but would stall out if you let the clutch out too fast in neutral. If i let it out really slow it would just idle down a bit and then go again. If it did stall out i just simply restarted and it went fine. The clutch seems to get too cold and grab a bit too much even though its in neutral??
Old 01-13-2005, 02:46 PM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by lude2S,Jan 13 2005, 06:33 PM
All of our hondas have always cranked over slowly in extremely cold ocnditions, but always start. Don't know if its really the battery. I've gone through 2 batteries in my 92 accord over the years and they all do the same.
With the S i notice that it would start up fine in the cold and rev up, but would stall out if you let the clutch out too fast in neutral. If i let it out really slow it would just idle down a bit and then go again. If it did stall out i just simply restarted and it went fine. The clutch seems to get too cold and grab a bit too much even though its in neutral??
The s2000 has a different battery than any other honda (except the RSX)
Old 01-13-2005, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Jan 13 2005, 04:09 PM
No disrespect WOODSON, but there is no problem with his car. My car did it as well. It is 11110% the Honda battery. It is extremely weak in the cold. My car started and idled at like 50rpm for like 5 seconds, and then stalled. The spark is too weak. I got an Optima and starts right up. Nothing in a car (stock car with normal oil, not summer only oil) gets influenced by the cold other than a battery.

On a side note.....the Stock panasonic battery that is on the s2000 and RSX is extremely sensitive to cold weather. The CCA on those batteries at 0F is almost nothing.

BMW, RSX and S2000 are very sensitive to this. (Ive had a lot of experience in this particular department)

And to the people experiencing weak and slow cranks.....again, the battery is fine, its not dead, but it cannot take the cold. A brand new Honda battery will do the exact same thing. Swap for a Yellow top, and you will see a HUGE difference. 1-2 cranks MAX to start the car in ANY temp.
That is EXACTLY what my car does. Spits and spudders and dies. Then it starts the second time. My question is, if it is the battery and it is the cold that causes this, why is there no problems on the second try? It's not like the battery had time to "warm up" in the 5 seconds it took it to stall out.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Jan 13 2005, 09:22 PM
That is EXACTLY what my car does. Spits and spudders and dies. Then it starts the second time. My question is, if it is the battery and it is the cold that causes this, why is there no problems on the second try? It's not like the battery had time to "warm up" in the 5 seconds it took it to stall out.
I've posted about this "characteristic" ad nauseum, therefore, I won't do it again. Here's the gist:
A change in climatic conditions will cause the ECU a momentary "brain fart". This is generally associated with a decline in ambient temps as winter approaches. If you let it die, it will learn in a few episodes. If you try to help it, it will take that much longer. Usually, it will take 4 to 5 such cold start/stalls and it will not do it again. Mine did this for 3 fall seasons in a row, then on the 4th and 5th season, it never did it again. There's more but I've posted about this so many times, I'm pretty bored with it.

Quick Reply: starting up in serious cold