S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starting Problems

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problems

Ever since ive had the car its had a starting problem. It takes about 5 seconds longer than it is supposed to to crank before the car will actually start. After the car has been sitting for a few hours or more the car will start up just fine but after sitting for just a few minutes to an hour or even after putting gas in the tank the car wont start at all it will just crank. So I would have to manually push start it.

I've been told recently that it has something to do with the fuel. My plugs are new and my fuel injectors are aftermarket. My uncle is a mechanic and he probed each of the injectors and said that they were all fine except for #1 which was a little loud until he moved it around. I had a friend who mentioned it might be my coils.

I am getting horrible fuel economy and my car idles funny sometimes.

I have these MIL codes I got from Autozone if these would help to find the source of the problem:

P0300: Random Cylinder Misfire
P0301: Cylinder 1 misfire
P0304: Cylinder 4 misfire
P0135: Sensor 1 Heater System Malfunction

I most likely need just an o2 sensor for the last code since it had oil all on it from when my turbo started leaking.

Thanks to all that can help!!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

grounds...cables... connectors...
Old 07-07-2013, 03:45 AM

All connections look good....
Old 07-07-2013, 02:17 PM

The car has 2 batteries?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:57 PM

The car came with 2 but the one in the trunk isnt hooked up. I dont even see how it could be anyways with just 1 ground wire
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 AM

it actually sounds like a fuel problem... the reason I say that is bc one it starts and runs you are able to start it with ease? correct.... the fuel seems to be draining back into the tank... do your injectors prime fully.... test it by turning the key on but not starting it a few times and see what it does.. let us know
Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jl56tc
it actually sounds like a fuel problem... the reason I say that is bc one it starts and runs you are able to start it with ease? correct.... the fuel seems to be draining back into the tank... do your injectors prime fully.... test it by turning the key on but not starting it a few times and see what it does.. let us know
Yes I have been told this recently. What exactly am I supposed to hear when I prime it? It does make a sound everytime I do. I put new plugs and the fuel injectors are aftermarket. I had a hunch that it might be the fuel injectors. My uncle is a mechanic and he probed each injector and they were all fine except for number which was making a loud noise till he moved it around. Someone also told me it could be my coils??
Old 07-22-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have these MIL codes I got from Autozone if these would help to find the source of the problem:

Question:
Did these codes occur after you changed the spark plugs and injectors?

Many times we need to go back to stock, original OEM, or even First Base to find the issues. What is the Brand and Model# of the plugs you are now using, Size of the injectors (if after market, some need two o-rings).

Clear the codes, start and run engine, then reread the codes (if any).

RePost your findings.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 AM

If you've got some sort of aftermarket fuel injectors, I would probably start there by going back to stock injectors.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by EagleDon

Question:
Did these codes occur after you changed the spark plugs and injectors?

Many times we need to go back to stock, original OEM, or even First Base to find the issues. What is the Brand and Model# of the plugs you are now using, Size of the injectors (if after market, some need two o-rings).

Clear the codes, start and run engine, then reread the codes (if any).

RePost your findings.
I never changed the injectors when I got the car they had them. But i had the plugs replaced by a buddy of mine and they're OEM. I had the check engine light before I replaced anything. But I had Cylinder misfire 2 & 3 beforehand but now I just have 1 & 4.

Quick Reply: Starting Problems