S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starting Issue When Hot

Old 04-16-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soviet, I remember coming across your thread when I was researching what was going on with my car initially during cold starts. My gauge cluster doesn't get dim and cranking sounds normal and strong when trying to start the car. Here is a video I took when I was having an issue with the cold start and was trying to see what the voltage was. Don't pay attention to the digital read out because that thing is now off the car and wasn't even reading the correct voltage. It was like .3 volts off or so. The video is more or less for the sound of how the car is when it's warm and I try to start it.

I mean I'm not ruling the starter out completely, just stating that I'm not getting the exact same symptoms when the car is hot and I try to start it. It also doesn't happen every time I try to start the car when it's warm. It's a hit or miss type scenario. But I know I hate taking the car on short trips and shutting it off when I'll be in and out of a store in a few minutes, because that's when it seems like it will give me the most trouble. Then when I come home from and I try and duplicate it, of course it always starts back up.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:40 AM

Well I dropped the car off at the tuner this morning and shut it off and tried starting it right in front of him and it didn't start. So he is going to do some logging and testing and try and see what's going on. I'll update if/when I get any answers.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by The Machine
Well I dropped the car off at the tuner this morning and shut it off and tried starting it right in front of him and it didn't start. So he is going to do some logging and testing and try and see what's going on. I'll update if/when I get any answers.
Very similar symptoms to my situation lol took it to my mechanic/ tuner, it acted fine, drove down the street, turned it off for fuel, then it wouldn't start
Old 04-20-2016, 05:00 PM

Ok a little update. I picked the car up from the tuner tonight and the problem still persists. He and the installer of the KW kit went through a series of tests and data logging and the tune is not to blame for any of it. All sensors were checked and are in working order as well. So after all this they are leaning towards the starter as some of you have suggested (and my personal belief as well).

Here is a video I took tonight after driving the car home and shutting it off. I waited about a 1 minute and then tried starting it again. To my amazement, it actually turned over. Usually, until the car cools down enough it will just crank and crank and crank without starting.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you get this resolved maybe it is the starter. Many moons ago I was experiencing similar symptoms in my Acura cl type s and I believe it was an issue with the fuel pump relay. I never got in checked it out but it was annoying because the car would randomly not start especially on hot days. Since you have an aftermarket fuel pump I'd assume this wasn't the issue. I used to be paranoid when I had to stop for gas in the summer...
Old 04-23-2016, 11:26 AM

Thanks man, I'm going to be in touch with the shop on Monday to see about getting a new starter installed.

Here is a video of a cold start for reference.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 AM

Been a little bit since I updated this thread. The starter was replaced with minimal positive results. The shop can't get the car not to start, but cranking is still super slow on hot starts and it kind of stumbles and then finally starts. A battery he had around the shop with higher CCA was put into the car and it cranks a little better when hot, but it's still very hard to start.

I dropped off the stock ECU today and they were going to do some testing with that. He was going to connect it when cold to see if the car starts. If so, he was going to put the AEM back in to get the car nice and hot, then take it back to the shop and plug the stock one back in and then try starting it. So I guess I'll see what happens over the next couple days and update then.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:31 PM

Adding the stock ecu into the equation resulted in the same thing. When the car was hot and he plugged in the stock ecu, the car wouldn't start so I guess that ruled out the AEM being bad.

All grounds on the car were cleaned and he even added extra grounds to the car as well. There was still no change in hot starting efforts. The next step is ordering a higher CCA battery and putting that in. The thing that is annoying though is that if he adds a booster pack to the battery when hot, the car will turn over no problem.

Can any suggest anything here?? I assume this is an electrical issue or voltage drop issue somewhere if with the addition of a booster pack the car will turn over no problem at all.

I'm at my wits end with this damn issue and the shop has basically ran out of ideas as well.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 1,398 Likes on 837 Posts

I would love to take a crack at this. Had an identical problem with a car a few months ago. If you want to come out, we will post results here after your visit.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
I would love to take a crack at this. Had an identical problem with a car a few months ago. If you want to come out, we will post results here after your visit.
I would seriously love this. Sucks you are about 2.5 hours from me, but it would be well worth the drive to figure this out once and for all. If this new battery doesn't cure the issue, which IMO, it is just a band-aid to a larger problem, I will surely be making the drive to you.

I will be posting results once this battery is installed.

Quick Reply: Starting Issue When Hot