S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starting Issue - Diagnosis help?

Old 11-11-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts
Default Starting Issue - Diagnosis help?

I have an 02 s2k with 17K miles. It runs like a top. Everything is good. On two occasions in the last month I have had an odd experience starting the engine. Normally the car starts perfectly. The battery is new and strong. I hit the start button for a second and it fires right up and idles perfectly. Tonight, and one other time about a month ago, I have gone through the normal starting routine - clutch in, right foot on brake pedal, turn key on, dash lights up normally, hit start button, starter motor fires normally and turns over engine normally, BUT - no joy, the engine does not start. Its as if there is either no fuel getting to the combustion chamber or no juice getting to the plugs. Try start button again, nothing. Again, nothing. A bit of panic sets in.

My next step has been to turn the key off - and then turn the key back on. Try start button again - now it fires right up instantly and perfectly.

This same thing has happened just twice in about 8000 miles of driving since I bought it this spring. Every single other time there has been zero problem.

Any ideas what the problem might be? I'd sure like to diagnosis it and deal with it - just for peace of mind.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 155 Likes on 126 Posts

If it happens again, make sure your immobilizer light is off before turning off the ignition. This could help with the diagnosis. It would be hard to tell if the fuel pump primed or not, unless you start monitoring it on every startup.

Not much time left in this season but hopefully you can sort it out, good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:23 PM

Ahhh - I think you have it. I do recall noticing that light on the dash. I have done some searching around and reading. I suspect that the immobilizer is being triggered and that is causing my problem. I suspect it may be related to my mobil speedpass which is hanging on my key ring. I have a vague memory and I suspect that the speedpass was in an unusual position on the ring kind of stuck up by the key instead of hanging down and that it interfered somehow with the system. I suspect that when I turned off the ignition and then turned it back on I moved the speedpass so it was hanging down on the ring out of the way and then it worked fine.

Does this make any sense?

Nothing to do I guess but to be aware of this possibility and be more observant if it happens again.

If there was a failure of the components associated with the immobilizer system wouldn't it throw a code?

I assume the fuel pump is electric? Is it supposed to prime when you turn on the key? Is that something you can hear?

Last edited by rpg51; 11-11-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:44 PM

I just came across a reference in an online manual for Chrysler indicating that the immobilizer system can be activated if a mobil speedpass is physically touching the key when you turn it on. Now I really suspect that it exactly what is happening. Tomorrow I'll try to recreate this and see if I can make it happen.