S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starting Issue

Old 05-15-2020, 06:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You might have a leaking fuel injector(s) that might be flooding the engine and that’s probably why it’s having hard time starting. Maybe get the fuel injectors tested and cleaned
Old 05-21-2020, 11:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
You might have a leaking fuel injector(s) that might be flooding the engine and that’s probably why it’s having hard time starting. Maybe get the fuel injectors tested and cleaned
sounds like a good answer. let us know what you find.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed the fuel injectors & sent them to R.C. Fuel Injection to be cleaned & flow tested. All four were flowing at less than 100%, including three that were dripping. Calibration report shows that all were able to be brought back to 370 cc/min with an "excellent" spray pattern. After re-installing, the first start seemed normal (same thing happened previously after resetting the ECU), but all subsequent starts have involved the engine cranking several times before starting, the issue still persists.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 AM

Over the past two months I've replaced the air filter, confirmed the spark plugs look fine, adjusted the valves (exhaust valves were a little tight), replaced the PCV valve & hose to the manifold and replaced all of the rubber seals on the valve cover. Still no luck resolving this issue.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:48 AM

This month I replaced the starter, all four ignition coils, the broken ignition coil clips & performed a compression check (235 or 240 on all cylinders). Haven't thrown any codes since before cleaning the fuel injectors. It throws me off that maybe 5% of the time it will start normally, but I can't pinpoint the conditions that cause it to do so.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Check into your cam sensors, I had a persistent but inconsistent issue with starting that wouldn't throw a CEL but would have similar starting issues to what you're describing. I actually just popped out sensor A and swapped it with sensor B for giggles to check (after wiping off the tiny amount of metal residue that was stuck to the magnet) and the car fired right up and ran perfectly. In the end I replaced both sensors about a month later just to prevent future issues and haven't had a problem with starting since.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:06 PM

Received 1,460 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I like to use starting fluid to rule out fuel issues. Remove intake, spray a few seconds of SF into the tb, and immediately attempt to start. Like maybe have another person trying to start after you spray the fluid, so there is no delay.

SF can make up for lean or even some rich conditions. So if it fires up right away with the SF, its a fuel issue.

Note it may fire right up then die, then still have the extra cranking needed issue. The SF might get all used up before the car will run on its own. So it still proves a fuel issue if it dies, so long as it fires right up initially.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jdg784
Check into your cam sensors, I had a persistent but inconsistent issue with starting that wouldn't throw a CEL but would have similar starting issues to what you're describing. I actually just popped out sensor A and swapped it with sensor B for giggles to check (after wiping off the tiny amount of metal residue that was stuck to the magnet) and the car fired right up and ran perfectly. In the end I replaced both sensors about a month later just to prevent future issues and haven't had a problem with starting since.
The car had been sitting for 24 hours, swapped the sensors & it started normally the fist time I started it. Took a 20 minute leisurely drive, turned it off & let it sit for 5 minutes. Tried to start it again, back to multiple cranks & having to pump the accelerator to get it to start. I did notice the idle was fluctuating more than before though. Had trouble starting it again this morning, but it finally threw several misfire codes, one for each cylinder as well as one for all cylinders. Going to order 2 new sensors & see how it goes.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:40 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe look into the fuel pump relay/main relay. I think over time the solder joints gets brittle and due to heat expansion it can cause some issues.
Old 09-04-2020, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
I like to use starting fluid to rule out fuel issues. Remove intake, spray a few seconds of SF into the tb, and immediately attempt to start. Like maybe have another person trying to start after you spray the fluid, so there is no delay.

SF can make up for lean or even some rich conditions. So if it fires up right away with the SF, its a fuel issue.

Note it may fire right up then die, then still have the extra cranking needed issue. The SF might get all used up before the car will run on its own. So it still proves a fuel issue if it dies, so long as it fires right up initially.
No luck with starting fluid unfortunately

Quick Reply: Starting Issue