S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

starter motor replaced, still won't start

Old 12-03-2013, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter motor replaced, still won't start

I was getting a good solenoid click with no rotation of starter motor, so i promptly replaced starter with a rebuilt Denso. What a job. Thanks s2k forum for helpful tips. The old starter I removed works fine on the bench! All that work for nothing. My last sports car was an xke, and when the starter clicked with no turning, I simply replaced the starter (25 yrs ago). Oh well, technology has replaced me. I am googling for wiring diagram of starter circuit--best i can find is from an rx7 and an accord. can anyone help? one relay under dash is clicking, but the 3 under dash relays are not labeled in owner's manual. Clutch switch and starter button seem to be working. Ignition switch lights up dash normally. Is there a 2nd starter relay somewhere? There is no power to to heavy red cable on starter soleniod. I will recheck my positive battery terminal. By the way, the starter had been intermittent for months, but would eventually start when problem ocurred. The car has a Viper alarm which appears to work normally. I have had this 2004 for 2 years, but drive it rarely--the roads in Queens are terrible. Shop manual by Honda looks like 150. on ebay; I can't seem to find a Haynes manual. Can anyone help? Would greatly appreciate wiring diagram of starter circuit...thanks alot, glen
Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM

Did you trouble shoot back to your clutch safety switch?
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

If you haven't tried cleaning your battery terminals, you need to rule that out. Use a battery terminal cleaning tool or a wire brush/sandpaper to remove the oxide layer. A bad battery connection can cause your symptoms. So can a bad battery.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44
If you haven't tried cleaning your battery terminals, you need to rule that out. Use a battery terminal cleaning tool or a wire brush/sandpaper to remove the oxide layer. A bad battery connection can cause your symptoms. So can a bad battery.
thx! done; battery and terminals are like new...
Old 12-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by PAXIMUS
Did you trouble shoot back to your clutch safety switch?
yes. clutch switch is working
Old 12-04-2013, 03:00 PM

The thick red cable going to the solenoid should be 12 volts at all times. Check its not shorting out somewhere or torn somewhere.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Swap the starter relay in the under dash relay box with a similar one from the same fusebox ( demister or fuel pump are the same). I've seen these get dirty contacts. You can prise them open and use a thin strip of emery paper between the contacts. Hold contacts closed over a strip of emery paper ( med grade) and pull the paper through facing both sides to clean the contacts.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:20 PM

You can download a 2000-2003 Service Manual here. (Even though you have a MY 2004 it should be sufficiently similar.) The section for the Starting System starts on page 59. It has step-by-step troubleshooting info.

P.S. I would not advise using abrasives (e.g., emery cloth or sand paper) on gold-plated contacts. Use an electrical grade contact cleaner.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure the ones I cleaned were silver faced. Contact cleaner would have a hard time removing the burnt dags on the surface.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by first-s2k
The thick red cable going to the solenoid should be 12 volts at all times. Check its not shorting out somewhere or torn somewhere.
this is my job today: i will test the voltage, then jumper cable from battery terminal positve to the 14mm big solenoid bolt and i bet the starter will turn. my alternator is still off, so i can get to it. i see the thick red cable disappear under a black plastic pan behind left front wheel under the car. i will have to trace that snake. this is torture, but better than paying the crooks around here. i have power at the auxiliary fusebox under hood with the 100 and 60 amp fuses in it...

Quick Reply: starter motor replaced, still won't start