S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starter makes a noise on cold start

Old 11-17-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter makes a noise on cold start

Since the temp has started to get colder, every morning while starting my car, I'll hear a noise similar to pushing the starter button while the engine is running. My car also gets up to 2.2k rpm and then slowly drops until my car dies. The next time I try to start my car, it starts fine.

I just want to know if something is going out before I get stuck somewhere.

Thanks <3
Old 11-18-2014, 05:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaney
Since the temp has started to get colder, every morning while starting my car, I'll hear a noise similar to pushing the starter button while the engine is running. My car also gets up to 2.2k rpm and then slowly drops until my car dies. The next time I try to start my car, it starts fine.

I just want to know if something is going out before I get stuck somewhere.

Thanks <3
Mine does this too. It's a loud noise then goes away immediately after. So I guess it IS the starter. Hope someone can shed some light other than getting another starter.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

We see these threads every winter. All S2k's do this.

If it starts happening when its not cold out, you have starter issues. But if it only does it when its cold, its nothing to worry about. Just embarassing.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:42 AM

^ that's not necessary true. My car does it seldomly when its warm outside. Nothing is wrong with the starter. My car is also garage kept, it doesn't get THAT cold in my garage and it still grinds.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 PM

its the starter sticking a little. mine does it fairly often.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:26 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
^ that's not necessary true. My car does it seldomly when its warm outside. Nothing is wrong with the starter. My car is also garage kept, it doesn't get THAT cold in my garage and it still grinds.
Good point. Mine does occasionally when its not cold as well. I should have been more clear, as I meant if it starts happening all the time when its warm, then you have starter issues.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Starter sticking - Mine has done that the last two days...but it has been 19 degrees. It is garage kept but the garage is not well insulated (wasn't meant to be). Never have the issue on warm days (above 40 degrees).

The real question is why your car dies as its warming up? Do you have any CELs? The engine shouldn't die unless there is an issue.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine seems to do the screech noise every morning when I start her up for the first time when the outside temperature is 25 degrees +/- 2 degrees so it's pretty normal, just embarrassing slightly!

As for your car dying: have you tried giving it some gas on startup?
Old 11-27-2014, 04:56 AM

it sounds like the grease in the starter motor is not liking the cold weather, if its really getting on your nerves just remove the starter, strip it and regrease! really easy to do
Old 11-29-2014, 07:16 AM

This happened on my old s2k and happens on my new one as well. Its normal, these cars don't particularly like cold weather.

Quick Reply: Starter makes a noise on cold start