S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Starter grinding

Old 03-21-2007, 02:30 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

^
that's my friends s2k.

i know that is the TCT noise.

but the noise described by this thread starter is not talking about the buzz...

starter grind sounds like a different noise. are you saying it is a faulty TCT that can cause a different type of sound also, a one time on startup noise?
Old 03-21-2007, 03:12 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Billman is the expert on this subject. I haven't personally had this problem, but from what I have read the problem is most common during startup.

If the sound you're getting is more like loud scraping metal for a second (rather than a card-in-spoke rattling), then you likely have a sticking starter bendix.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by slalom44' date='Mar 21 2007, 03:12 PM
Billman is the expert on this subject. I haven't personally had this problem, but from what I have read the problem is most common during startup.

If the sound you're getting is more like loud scraping metal for a second (rather than a card-in-spoke rattling), then you likely have a sticking starter bendix.
i've gotten that once in a while...

sticking starter bendix eh? i'll look into it if i continue to hear it...i hear it once in a while, total of like 7 times.
Old 03-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slalom44' date='Mar 21 2007, 10:18 PM
Many people in the past have reported starter grind, only to find out that it was their timing chain tensioner. It could very well be a sticking bendix on your starter, but you don't want to replace your starter, only to find out that wasn't the problem.

Here is a video clip of a noisy TCT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7YWObOi5zQ

If your TCT is making this noise, you need to replace it.
My car does this noise but only for the blimp of a second while startup when cold.

So you're sure its the TCT then ?!
Old 03-21-2007, 04:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by stocky' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:21 PM
My car does this noise but only for the blimp of a second while startup when cold.

You may want to PM Billman250. He's replaced more TCTs than anyone else around here.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:00 PM

I have the same grind noise in the morning. It happens when its really cold or sits for a long time. I replaced the TCT but it did not solve the problem. I think it might be the starter. Just to give you a heads up.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM

Received 1,401 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by stocky' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:21 PM

90% of bad TCTs only have the noise in that vid clip for a second or two immediately after startup. The one in the vid is constant and really bad. That's only about the 4th one I've seen or heard that was that bad.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250' date='Mar 21 2007, 06:04 PM
90% of bad TCTs only have the noise in that vid clip for a second or two immediately after startup. The one in the vid is constant and really bad. That's only about the 4th one I've seen or heard that was that bad.
the noise at start up, can that be explained as a metal to metal RATTLE?...

sort of like the heat shield is loose and rattling hard?

i don't get it often, maybe 5 times total...

i definitely don't have bumbling bees or cards in a spoke type of noise...

only the startup noise (about 1 second)....and that is only about 5 times TOTAL.

what do you think billman? TCT or starter bendix?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:03 PM
mas

Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else, this is the latest thread I could find on this subject.

I just replaced the TCT and it did get rid of the clicking sound (after startup and at idle), but I still have the starter grinding sound. I was hoping it was all due to the TCT but I guess not. So, can someone please tell me the latest on this? What do I need to replace to get rid of this sound. I can only hear it after starups on a cold morning and it sounds exactly like when you press the startup button when the car is already running (yes, I have done it a few times by mistake). What harm can this do if not fixed right away.

Thanks!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mas,Sep 24 2007, 06:03 PM
Sorry if this has already been discussed somewhere else, this is the latest thread I could find on this subject.

I just replaced the TCT and it did get rid of the clicking sound (after startup and at idle), but I still have the starter grinding sound. I was hoping it was all due to the TCT but I guess not. So, can someone please tell me the latest on this? What do I need to replace to get rid of this sound. I can only hear it after starups on a cold morning and it sounds exactly like when you press the startup button when the car is already running (yes, I have done it a few times by mistake). What harm can this do if not fixed right away.

Thanks!
i think it is pretty much accepted that this is the starter...its been suggested that you can grease up a certain part in the starter...or get a new starter?

someone suggested that damage can be caused to the flywheel...but there was no explanation as to why...

i plan on finding exactly which part to grease on the starter and doing that to see if it fixes the problem...and if not, just replacing the starter.

Quick Reply: Starter grinding