S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Started consuming oil

Old 03-11-2009, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started consuming oil

2004 s2000

I've been running Mobile 1 full syn since breaking in with dino. Until 70k oil level didn't drop at all between changes (every 3k). I'm now at 76k and I'm starting to see oil loss. Since last change 3k ago I'm now down a full 2 x marks.

Question: does anyone know what 2 x marks represents in oil? There is no oil on groud where I park at night so I don't think its leaking.

My concern is that it will get worse. Before I take it to the dealer I wanted to get some input from you guys. I still have a year of my extended waranty left. Does this sound like normal wear and tear or does it sound like something that needs repair? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also I am super easy on my car. Always keep revs under 3k until fully warm, rarely hit vtec, still original clutch.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 02:51 PM

What are you doing to your car! its crying cuz it wants to hit Vtec.

Has anything been tuned up/adjusted? ~valve seals, valve cover seals, valve adjustments, etc?
Old 03-11-2009, 05:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

from the top x to the bottom x is about 1 qt. So do the math. that may be 1/3 qt. which is minimal at most for consumption if you are in vtec at all.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The engine might be starting to show first signs of maturing. Notice, I didn't say aging. It's been pristine until now, and it's just now getting to where most of us are anywhere from 25K-50K miles.

So enjoy and don't buy a KIA!
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM

You may want to try another brand of motor oil. My car goes thru M1 so I tried a competitive brand, Pennzoil platinum - no oil consumption between changes. YMMV but I would try another brand as a check.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree. Try something other than M1. That should correct the consumption issue. Also, change your PCV valve if you haven't recently.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:16 PM

Heh... PCV is a likely issue since it was so sudden. What are you driving styles? Vtec-in all the time? If PCV is okay, then just switch to a higher viscosity fluid.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

How often do you check the oil level?

2 XX's in 3k miles is nothing.
Absolutely normal.

Do you change your own oil?
Maybe you (or the one that did the oil change) put a little less in last time?

Btw.. 3k mile oil change interval is outdated.
We're not in the 70's anymore, this is 2009.

And another btw.. don't switch to a higher viscosity.
No need at all, 30 weights is all the F20/F22's need.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks for the feeback guys. I am super anal about frequently checking my oil. Probably check once a week. I googled for a PCV but I'm still unclear exactly what its purpose is and how its failure can lead to oil loss.

I bring my own oil to the dealer and the following morning when cool and on level surface if shy of Full I will add oil and get it exactly at the full mark. Up until 5k ago it always stayed exactly pegged at the full mark between changes.

As far as driving style I am super mellow 95% of the time. Probably hit Vtec maybe once or twice a month. I'm more into fast cornering than hard acceleration.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 PM

^the PCV valve is a little valve on top of your valve covers. It allows blow-by gasses caused by difference in pressure from atmosphere vs. crankcase to equilibriate. Its basically what you see on old V8s being vented to atmosphere, except due to the whole 'emissions' deal, they route it to the intake, requiring a valve to make it a one way deal.

Positive crankcase ventilation valve, i think it stands for..?

~just pick it off the top of your valve cover, its near the fuel rails. Shake it a couple times, if it doesnt 'click' you need a new one. Since its so cheap you might as well pick one up.

Quick Reply: Started consuming oil