S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Start up issues

Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start up issues

When the car is cold it fires up fine once car is warm won't start for about 45mins after turning car off idk if it has to do with the battery being relocated in the trunk if anyone has this problem befor please help me.. Also if I take off anything under 2000RPMs my s2000 will stall and that's when car is cold and warmed up..
Old 01-23-2012, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AWWHITE s2k
When the car is cold it fires up fine once car is warm won't start for about 45mins after turning car off idk if it has to do with the battery being relocated in the trunk if anyone has this problem befor please help me.. Also if I take off anything under 2000RPMs my s2000 will stall and that's when car is cold and warmed up..

i have similar problems like yours mine does it also when my engine is warm, and then when i try to accelerate it seems theres a fuel cut no power at all, then i saw this adds today ,
****A 'flat' spot when starting it after it had been standing for 15-45 minutes after it had been warmed up. It refused to respond to the accelerator, kangarooed, jerked and lost ALL power. The solution to this was...

A corroded wire near the scuttle on the passenger side, which was replaced***

i need to find out where the wire that he was talking about, got an idea?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:25 AM

It sounds like you could have a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders. Once the engine warms up, the block and pistons expand thermally, so as the engine ages, you lose compression. How many miles are on it?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Motorbreath17
It sounds like you could have a loss of compression in one or more of the cylinders. Once the engine warms up, the block and pistons expand thermally, so as the engine ages, you lose compression. How many miles are on it?
145,000 miles , whats the normal compression on these cylinders ?im going to test them tom.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM

Should be around 210-230 psi I believe. And from reading other posts, all cylinders should be within about 10-15 psi of each other.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Should be around 210-230 psi I believe. And from reading other posts, all cylinders should be within about 10-15 psi of each other.
i was gonna check them today but i just wanna make sure im not missing something, so let say after i warm up the car and thats where i should test the compression right? so please guide me after i warm up the car,turn the engine off, disconnect any fuse? im not sure which one,remove the 1st cylinder spark plug and screww that gauge in it, and start the car for how long?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 PM

I'll be honest, I've only had the car for a few months myself. However, I think you will find the necessary information in the following thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/434...ssion-testing/

That should guide you through the steps on properly testing the compression. The DIY definitely states to warm your car up before testing. I'd advise to be careful with your spark plug threads with a warm block, though.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:49 AM

I'll be honest, I've only had the car for a few months myself. However, I think you will find the necessary information in the following thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/434...ssion-testing/

That should guide you through the steps on properly testing the compression. The DIY definitely states to warm your car up before testing. I'd advise to be careful with your spark plug threads with a warm block, though.

i love this s2ki forum haha, this is my first time joining a forum to get an idea how to fix my car and so far it has been very helpful thank you,
Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 AM

No problem. What were the results?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 AM

No problem. What were the results?

i just checked them today and the results are
1st cylinder = 155
2nd " = 145
3rd " = 145
4th " = 160

the compression are very low so im guessing i need to rebuild the engine i took a pictures on the spark plugs i wonder why the 2nd one has diff color?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
and i bought this compression tester but it seems its too long and im thinking if im gettin an accurate results using this.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quick Reply: Start up issues