S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

start up help!

Old 07-05-2021, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default start up help!

Need yalls help, due to a laundry list of reasons, my car has sat for 2.5-3years without being started... life is finally bouncing back for me and I can get my car running again and fix things that were wrong prior to parking.

So the question, what precautions should I take before tossing a battery in and starting the car?

I am thinking I should probably pull the pump, siphon the old fuel, replace the pump, and send the injectors out for cleaning before I even try to start it and see if anything else is wrong. Am I overthinking this or missing anything?

Thanks in advance
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 06:36 PM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaking Point
Need yalls help, due to a laundry list of reasons, my car has sat for 2.5-3years without being started... life is finally bouncing back for me and I can get my car running again and fix things that were wrong prior to parking.

So the question, what precautions should I take before tossing a battery in and starting the car?

I am thinking I should probably pull the pump, siphon the old fuel, replace the pump, and send the injectors out for cleaning before I even try to start it and see if anything else is wrong. Am I overthinking this or missing anything?

Thanks in advance
What level is the tank at now? I'd prolly just put in some good gas. Pour a little oil into the top end. Crank the motor without starting a couple of times. Then, try starting. If it starts... cool. If not, then look at draining tank, injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump, other issues.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:13 PM

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

Here is what I would do- this is by no means the proper procedure- I'm just pedantic.

-remove the fuel pump fuse. remove the spark plugs and put in some fogging oil. Let it sit over night. remove your clutch interlock bypass and put in a jumper wire so you don't have to engage the clutch pedal. Turn the engine over by hand to be sure there are no stuck pistons (unlikely) but just be sure it will make a complete, smooth revolution. remove the valve cover and inspect the upper drive train- I drizzle oil over all the moving parts- cams, over the timing chain, etc. Hell, do a valve adjustment while you're in there.
Put the valve cover back on, leaving the spark plugs out. Turn the car over without your foot on the clutch- press the start button briefly, increasing the amount of time the starter turns over until the oil light goes out. Oh, by the way, put some rags over the spark plug holes since all that fogging oil is going to be spraying out.

put your plugs back in and torque to 20 lbft, coils back on- button it back up.

foot off the clutch, start the car, listen for any strange noises. Go for a drive to warm up all the fluids, keeping it under 4000 rpm until the old fuel is used up.

YMMV
darcy