S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stalling Problem

Old 12-19-2009, 02:41 PM
jg!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling Problem

Hello friends,
Long time reader here. I've had relatively good luck with my car until just recently, and I'm getting worried with a problem I'm experiencing. First, my car is an '03 with 42,000 miles on it and the only mods I have done is AEM intake and J's racing exhaust. I am very easy on the car in general and don't even take it up into vtec often.

Recently, in the last 2 weeks I've noticed that since it got cold sometimes my car has problems turning over. On the bitter cold mornings we've had the last few weeks, it will chug chug chug, then die. The second time I hit Engine Start, it fires right up. I attributed this to the cold, but now I don't know if maybe this could be the battery starting to go - and I didn't have this problem last winter which was only about 5,000 miles ago. I feel it to be cold weather problem because in the afternoon before I start my commute home it starts right up at work unless it's very very cold again. Now this last week another problem has started. Once I fire the car up in the morning I put it in neutral and sit there idling to let the car warm up for a few minutes. This week the car has been stalling once I put it in neutral and take my foot off the clutch. I'll fire it back up, fires up, then has the potential to stall again. So after I start it up yet again, I have to keep my foot lightly on the gas to prevent it from stalling. Now once I start moving and the car gets warm, it doesn't stall at lights or stop signs or anything.. but I'm afraid that is next. I'm worried the problems are related, and might evolve into the car stalling out at bad times like red lights and stop signs.

Anyone have any information on this? I apologize for the long winded explanation but I know I get urk'd when I read a 'help me with this problem' thread and it's a one sentence question and the first page is all you helpful guys replying with follow up questions.

Thanks in advance guys and I appreciate your time!

Yours,
jg
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM

I would check the spark plugs i doubt it is tho since its low milage, you might have a vacuum leak
Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try resetting the ECU and doing the learn procedure.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:50 AM
jg!

Thanks for the input guys. We just got bombed with snow so I'll try it afterwards. I was thinking spark plugs as a possibility too, but wouldn't that cause issues after the car was warm?

Kirpich, I'll read the reset the ECU FAQ thingy up top and see if that helps out. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know!