S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stainless clutch line leaking

Old 11-21-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless clutch line leaking

Hi all. I have an '05 Berlina. I had my brake system and clutch changed in 09 to aftermarket parts with braided stainless lines all around. Clutch fluid is ATE DOT4. The blue stuff. I've run this exact same setup in another car for 6 years, no issues.

I haven't driven the S much since- maybe 6000 miles. It was parked most of this year. On moving it around the garage, I'm seeing it spot brake fluid every couple of feet. Yesterday the clutch pedal felt "sticky" and there were dribbles up and down the driveway.

Checked under the dash, it's clean, checked under the hood, it's clean. Fluid is clear and not blackened or cloudy with contaminants. I jack the car up this morning and the stainless line from the slave cylinder to the clutch housing is caked in blue.

What's the consensus on this part? Anyone else have problems with an aftermarket clutch line and ATE fluid? I can't see any damage to the line itself, but with this crap driveway it's possible I or the wife rubbed it. It hangs down below the rails on the underbelly of the car and the car is on stock wheels and lowered with Espelirs.

Change the part or flush fluids first?

Also, should I use teflon tape if I re-thread the line to the fitting?

All advice is appreciated. Thank you!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure your bleeder bolt is tight, and not spilling over making it look like a bad line. Also do not use teflon tape, it's a banjo bolt!!

Do you still have pressure on the clutch? I'd have someone pump the pedal and see where it's leaking from to confirm the source.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Be sure one of the crush washers is not missing. there's two.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Make sure your bleeder bolt is tight, and not spilling over making it look like a bad line. Also do not use teflon tape, it's a banjo bolt!!

Do you still have pressure on the clutch? I'd have someone pump the pedal and see where it's leaking from to confirm the source.
Thanks for weighing in, bro. Teflon tape- I meant around the other end. That looks like a simple threaded compression fitting. That side of the hose is also clean and shiny so I'm guessing it's a good connection.

UPDATE: I primed the clutch pedal several times and I'm seeing a bead of fluid come out of the hose fitting on the banjo bolt side. Impossible to tell w/o watching if it's actually the spot where the fitting meets the bolt, but the bolt itself looks clean. I've re-torqued the banjo bolt & wiped it down and it did it a second time. All of the caking is on the lower part of that hose on the side closest to the banjo bolt. Time to talk to part seller, I'm thinking...
Old 11-21-2011, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
Be sure one of the crush washers is not missing. there's two.
Both washers were installed. Thanks for pointing that out!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM

Another update: contacted the ebay seller in question. RT Performance. A quick search around here dug up some other janky behavior on their part- cutting the hose too short for spec, then attempting to charge for the fix. Seeing how we're 2 years into this, I don't anticipate a happy ending. Anyone recommend a brand over this one? Haven't spotted one by Earl's. There is a listing for Techna Fit up right now. No experience with this brand, any good?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:55 PM

Why the need for a braided clutch line? The stock one gets the job done reliably just fine.

There are many other options out there if you want one 'off-the-shelf'. Spoon, J's, ASM for <$200.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM

Almost forgot about SoS

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/produc...ch_slave_hose/
Old 11-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

GT Motoring also has a braided line too if I'm not mistaken
Old 11-22-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Sweet! I thought these guys only tune the NSX.
To answer your question, I have a Clutch Master's Stage 3 clutch installed. I felt it might be a good idea to bump up the line at the time I installed the rest of those drivetrain components. Dunno if that's a great idea, but it felt great and responsive until it started leaking :-)