S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Staggered vs Non-Staggered

Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information to know. I believe I'll steer towards the "Safe" side and stay staggered. I'm by no means a race car driver but I do track my car quite often. At the end of the day, I am there to have fun and improve my driving skills. I'll get into "tuning" the car for maximum potential once I get to that point. All your feedback is greatly appreciated! I'm sure I'll have more questions later too.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Autocross cars are also set up to have ultra fast turn-in response (slow response is often perceived as understeer, when its really just the suspension not being loaded) and understeer like pigs in static load turns like sweepers and freeway onramps. I'm talking worse understeer than a STI.
LMFAO, greatest quote ever, because its so frickin true.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I previously stated, autocross guys do not like oversteer AT ALL.

A violent lane change will upset the car on staggered just as much as non-staggered.

A better way to explain it is that the limit is increased, but when the limit is surpassed, the probability of a spin is higher from the higher probability of the rear losing grip rather than the front.

p.s. I went to an Autocross novice school once. During a skidpad exercise, we were instructed to go around as quickly as possible, as close to the cones as possible. The skidpad was roughly ~33mph. 2nd gear resulted in understeer. Instructor was not happy when I went around in 1st using the rear to steer. GPS showed my speed to be 36 while doing that vs the ~33 on the verge of understeer in 2nd.

Most instructors told me I was doing the two sweeper turns on the course wrong. They wanted me to brake later, turn in hard, and power out, effectively in a "v". I speculated that I'd be faster trail braking in, and powering out with a loose rear. GPS again showed it was faster.

All of this is purely because of setup. I run stock sways in a track oriented setup. Static grip is more important to me than instant response because the average track has way less turns than a AutoX course, but the turns themselves are much faster and more importantly, longer.