S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SS brakelines opinon

Old 01-11-2002, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those Rear rotors look pretty nice, Rick!

Sounds like there's lots of people unsure of ss brakelines. If they work or not. If they DO work....its really only 109 bucks.....

Anyways, what is it guys? do they or dont they work?
Old 01-11-2002, 03:32 PM

work but not worth the $..
Old 01-11-2002, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just do it...much more direct feel. I had them put on my Supra also, and I have Kevlar lines on both my sportbikes.

You will NOT feel any increased sponginess whatsoever than can be attributed to the lines....that would prob. be due to incorrectly bleeded lines.
Old 01-11-2002, 11:47 PM

Thanks Chris....I was worried there for awhile that ss brakelines dont do a thing and may make the brakes even MORE spongy....

$100 isnt that much to improve braking, in my opinion.

Mike, where'd u hear that stuff about dirt getting into the strands? Have u ever used ss brakelines to substantiate your claim that it doesnt increase added feel?

I know for myself, when I first got the car I was so impressed by how the brakes felt compared to my other car (Toyota Paseo).....not a good comparison but thats the only car I had to compare it with. Anyways, after driving the S for a year now.....Ive gotten into some hard braking situations a few times ...and now I wish the brakes didnt feel so spongy under hard braking....

cdelena, how often should u be inspecting these lines? does it require more maintanence that the OEM lines?

Reverend, Thats some scary stuff! I wonder how often that happens? Did your friend tell u he inspects them regularly?
Old 01-12-2002, 08:48 AM

Originally posted by cdelena
Reports of spongy pedals are from people with installation problems. Please don't start an unfounded rumor that it is caused by SS lines.

SS lines are not prone to failing or getting caught when properly installed. That is more unfounded rumor.
Please don't "shhh" me saying I'm "starting rumors" by posting my personal experience. I felt I made it quite clear that I was only stating what I had heard and the facts of what I had personally witnessed. S2oooBoy asked for feedback and I'm simply offering the experience I have with them, not making a generalized claim about ALL SS lines regardless of all outside factors.

S2oooBoy, no my friend with the VW wasn't the type to inspect anything regularly, BUT, when the line broke, I looked over it very carefully and there was no visible breakage, just fluid squirting out from the steel braiding, so visual inspection would have done no good.
Old 01-12-2002, 09:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Reverend
[B]Please don't "shhh" me saying I'm "starting rumors" by posting my personal experience.
Old 01-12-2002, 12:27 PM

Stainless steel lines are used on all types of competition vehicles . They are used on cars , motorcycles and trucks that run the Baja 1000 and all types of rally events . The quality of the product you purchase and competency of the installation does make a difference .
The real key to stainless lines is the fit of the stainless steel braid over the Teflon inter tube . Many lines do not have close tolerance between these two components and you end up with lines that swell under high pressure use.
I have worked with Earl's to develop the lines for the S-2000 . The material that they use to produce these lines, is the same material that they use in the lines that they produce for CART , F1 , Stock cars and all other racing applications . They only purchase one type of line material . The other plus with Earl's lines is the, use of metal brackets to hold lines in place . Most other companies use plastic clips to hold line in place . The reason that Rick can sell line for reasonable amount is , I am set up as a OEM vendor with Earl's . They also produce the custom line that's used with our front brake kit.

brad
Old 01-12-2002, 02:17 PM

thanks guys.....I'll see what the funds are like and I'll order soon!

ummm, do u have it in stock?
Old 01-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Zot

James and Rick, do you have the Earl SS lines in stock and ready for immediate delivery? With all necessary hardware etc? I have having pads, fluid, bleeders done this coming Friday. If I order them wanna make sure I can have them here for that install.

Please let me know. Sent PM also.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2002, 10:45 PM
tpn

I've been running a set of Earl's for a while now. I can highly recommend them. We don't "track" our s2k but we do play with the braking abilities on sharp twisties when we can ......... You can feel the difference in the peddle and that extra confidence is nice to have when you push it a little too much at times.

And like you said your only talking ~$110 ....not that much for the extra confidence. Earl's SS lines have been around a while and have built a great reputation on quality.

Quick Reply: SS brakelines opinon