S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SS brakelines opinon

Old 01-10-2002, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SS brakelines opinon

Need reccomendations on Stainless steel brake-lines. Is it worth it? Are they all the same? Brand preferred?
Old 01-10-2002, 11:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2oooboy
[B]Need reccomendations on Stainless steel brake-lines.
Old 01-10-2002, 11:44 PM

Any of our sponsors carry these? If its not too expensive, i'll go for it...
Old 01-11-2002, 02:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Take a look at the page: http://www.ricks2k.com/products/brakes.html

Earl's brake lines are sold separately (as a set of 4) for $109.

James
Old 01-11-2002, 03:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You certainly don't have to have them, but the do give better pedal feel and are highly recommended for racing. If you do get them, Earl's are the only way to go, IMHO.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:12 AM

Generally, SS brake lines ARE supposed to improve pedal feel and not get spongy over time, as regular lines will (as years pass, anyway). BUT, the only people I've heard from who have put SS lines on their S2000's noticed their pedal got spongy. I can't say whether the systems were not properly bled after changing the lines, or why this was, but that's just what I've heard. I remember a while back Ben from Bulletproof told me about this, and I believe someone else also told me they had the same problem.

I generally stay away from SS lines for a different reason... I used to hear rumors that they are prone to cracking/failing, sometime from getting caught on suspension pieces and sometimes for no real reason. I never really gave much thought to the matter until I was in a friend's VW with SS lines and the brakes completely failed when one of the lines sprung a leak. Fortunately he was only going about 5 mph when he noticed this, but I ended up having to drive the car back to my apartment for him with just the e-brake, so I've since had a bad impression of SS lines.

Rubber lines work fine as long as you change them every few years when they get old.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Granted there is not a lot of motivation to swap the S2000 lines since they have very firm walls, but the SS lines do make a subtle difference especially at the limit. Firmer pedal and easier to modulate.

Reports of spongy pedals are from people with installation problems. Please don't start an unfounded rumor that it is caused by SS lines.

SS lines are not prone to failing or getting caught when properly installed. That is more unfounded rumor.

SS lines do need to be inspected periodically like any line but are not problematic. In fact I am very pleased with the performance and am currently using some Earl's lines.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The S2000 brake lines are still relatively new. After a decade or two you would notice a difference but the factory lines are fine for a few years. If you have limited funds consider spending them elsewhere.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:09 AM

I think SS lines are both a waste of money due to limited if any improvement in feel and a safety issue due to possible stress fracturing at the line/fittting junctions. Also an issue for uncoated lines is that the steel meshing can pick up dirt which will cause wearing of the strands with risk of failure. Moreover, this dirt can wear the plastic fluid tubing inside the stranding, again with risk of possible failure. Such wear is not visible to inspection.

If you need better performance and feel, buy Carbotech pads and Castrol fluid.
Old 01-11-2002, 09:24 AM

i would rather invest in some better brake bads or slotted rotors

Quick Reply: SS brakelines opinon