S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SRS unit Need Help with AP1

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS unit Need Help with AP1

Year 2000, S2000 AP1: My question involves the SRS unit. I "bumped" into someone just hard enough to deploy the SRS system. I am replacing the airbags & seat belt retentioners. Will the "reset" allow me to continue using my present SRS unit or does "crash" data remain on it following an accident rather you do the reset or not even if you have corrected ALL safety related problems?

I'm confused over "reset". Does it just clear "codes" or will it allow the SRS unit to reset for further use if airbags & retentioners are intact?

Please coment if you are knowledgeable in SRS Units.

Thank You in advance
Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 AM

You need to reset the ecu and buy a new srs computer, its under your radio.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look in eBay for S2000 SRS reset service cost around $35, but you have to remove your SRS computer and ship it to them and they will reset it.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:51 AM

Thank you for your reply. I have already purchased a "new" SRS unit but I am not wanting to throw away the one I had if a "reset" would take care of the problem on it and it could be reused. If I understand correctly, (IF), Crash data is recorded on the SRS, (Shock response System) and codes are generated. Codes can be cleeared using a jumper on the MES,(this may clear the ecu) but crash data remains on the SRS unit. I have seen proceedures for clearing "Data" on the SRS unit by erasing files directly off the chip inside but at this time I do not have the software to accomplish this. Just trying to understand the system a little better and WHY you should have to replace the SRS computer following a low impact front bumper incident.

thanks

look in eBay for S2000 SRS reset service cost around $35, but you have to remove your SRS computer and ship it to them and they will reset it.
[/quote]
Old 02-15-2013, 02:07 PM

I thank you for your reply. I took a chance and purchased an SRS unit off of EBAY. It also included two airbags, Two seat belt retractors, a wiring harness, and a clock spring. All came from the same vehicle that had never experienced a deployment, (2001 s2000). I installed the airbags, seat retractors, and SRS today, (did not need the other items). I thought I would reply to your message and let you know the ecu did NOT have to be reset and The SRS "check" light came on and shut off in accordance with the manual. I still have the original SRS and I am still curious if it could be "cleared" of any past data and how to do that.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In case you didn't hear last year, but there's been a lot of counterfeit air bags on the secondhand market.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Pre...rfeit+Air+Bags
Old 02-15-2013, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Blk Prl
I thank you for your reply. I took a chance and purchased an SRS unit off of EBAY. It also included two airbags, Two seat belt retractors, a wiring harness, and a clock spring. All came from the same vehicle that had never experienced a deployment, (2001 s2000). I installed the airbags, seat retractors, and SRS today, (did not need the other items). I thought I would reply to your message and let you know the ecu did NOT have to be reset and The SRS "check" light came on and shut off in accordance with the manual. I still have the original SRS and I am still curious if it could be "cleared" of any past data and how to do that.
strange, I had to go through a series of "reprogramming" to get the SRS light to turn off on my dash. Maybe you left the battery off long enough to wipe any memory of SRS deployment? I know its something hondas have to do. As for the SRS "reset" I've heard of people asking about it but I never have heard of anyone getting it done.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:42 PM

I was surprised also but it works fine and checked out diagnosticly.
Originally Posted by ikeyballz
Originally Posted by Blk Prl' timestamp='1360969620' post='22340881
strange, I had to go through a series of "reprogramming" to get the SRS light to turn off on my dash. Maybe you left the battery off long enough to wipe any memory of SRS deployment? I know its something hondas have to do. As for the SRS "reset" I've heard of people asking about it but I never have heard of anyone getting it done.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:10 AM

I had been informed of this, thanks. This system was pulled direct from a model 2001 s2000 that never had it deploy. I had a pretty lengthy discussion with the provider and voiced my concerns. I was provided with the VIN# and a picture of the vehicle. After inspecting the parts they were installed, passed the diagnostic test and seem to be fine. Hope I never find out if they work by watching them deploy again. It is quite an experience, glad my top was down when the original system deployed as the noise, smoke, and loss of vision as the system deploys and the bag is suddenly in your face is quite an experience.
Now all I have left to do is some minor fiberglass work on the front bumper and some paint touch-up on it. I got lucky. I found the SRS unit to be very sensitive to front end "shock" and would advise caution to all. The PITA of repair is one thing, getting wacked in an accident is another. If this experience has proved anything to me the S2000 is one safe little car and tough to boot... I have had two of them. One is a 07 Berlina Black I purchase new and this one a yr 2000 I located and restored. By the way, this forum has been extremely helpful. Thank you to the folks that provide and maintain it!
In case you didn't hear last year, but there's been a lot of counterfeit air bags on the secondhand market.
http://www.nhtsa.gov...erfeit+Air+Bags
[/quote]