S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SRS system

Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS system

In case you didn't hear last year, but there's been a lot of counterfeit air bags on the secondhand market.
http://www.nhtsa.gov...erfeit+Air+Bags
[/quote]

I had read about counterfeits but not from the web site you provided.

This SRS system was pulled direct from a model 2001 s2000 that never had it deploy. I had a pretty lengthy discussion with the provider and voiced my concerns. I was provided with the VIN# and a picture of the vehicle. After inspecting the parts they were installed, passed the diagnostic test and seem to be fine. Hope I never find out if they work by watching them deploy again. It is quite an experience, glad my top was down when the original system deployed as the noise, smoke, and loss of vision as the system deploys and the bag is suddenly in your face is quite an experience.
Now all I have left to do is some minor fiberglass work on the front bumper and some paint touch-up on it. I got lucky. I found the SRS unit to be very sensitive to front end "shock" and would advise caution to all. The PITA of repair is one thing, getting wacked in an accident is another. If this experience has proved anything to me the S2000 is one safe little car and tough to boot... I have had two of them. One is a 07 Berlina Black I purchase new and this one a yr 2000 Grand Prix White I located and restored. By the way, this forum has been extremely helpful. Thank you to the folks that provide and maintain it!