S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SRS Light On - Any suggestions for resetting it?

Old 12-04-2002, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SRS Light On - Any suggestions for resetting it?

I was working on a car project over Thanksgiving that involved removing the seat belt retractors. While they were out of the car I turned the ignition on several times. Now the SRS light is on, I suspect from the ECU sensing missing parts. From what I can glean from the Helm manual, the fault code is stored in the ECU, and the ECU keeps the SRS light on even after the fault is corrected. First, is this true? Second, how can I reset the light?

There is a procedure listed in the service manual, but it involves using a scan tool or special "resetting tool". Rather than trying to talk my dealer into resetting the light, I was hoping someone here could help me out.

TIA!
Old 12-04-2002, 07:28 AM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about the S2000, but on my Land Rover, once the SRS warning is glitched, nothing short of a trip to the dealer and a very short session with their "testbook" computer will turn it off. For this privilege they charge me 1/2 hour labor (out of warranty).

Kind of sucks... And yes, having a sensor become even momentarily detached will trip the computer.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:10 AM

I had to reset the srs light as well. It is true that the light stays on even after the fault has been corrected.

I bought the resetting tool which merely 'shorts' 2 terminals, but as you can see in the manual, you have to get the connect/disconnect timing correct for for reset . I do not have odb2 diagnostics setup, so I had to go this route.

If you think you might have to redo the seatbelts again, you might want to purchase the tool (part number is listed in manual). I'll send you the part to use if you'll send it back.
Old 12-04-2002, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the quick feedback and confirmation of my assessment.

Prolene - you have a PM .
Old 12-04-2002, 11:44 AM

for what it's worth, the body shop told me there are actuators in the seat belt tensioners that lock when the airbags deploy. Removing the tensioners probably tripped the comp same as having the bags disconnected does. To get around the SRS light when I changed steering wheels, the mounting boss came with a resistor to put across the airbag terminals.
Works great, no SRS light and my pax side airbag still worked.
maybe putting the right value resistors across the seatbelt terminals would fool the computer?
No more retractors, no more SRS Light.

-V
Old 12-04-2002, 05:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Venom
[B]for what it's worth, the body shop told me there are actuators in the seat belt tensioners that lock when the airbags deploy. Removing the tensioners probably tripped the comp same as having the bags disconnected does. To get around the SRS light when I changed steering wheels, the mounting boss came with a resistor to put across the airbag terminals.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by vapors2k
I too have the SRS light and seat belt light on now, after installing cage and removing seat belt retractors as well as not having that plug connected at the bottom of the seat. Going to steal this thread by asking how do I get rid of the seat belt light and the SRS light due to the lack of seats and retractors?@??!
FWIW, Before this project I've been running my car without the plug connected to the seatbelt, but with the retractors in place. There has not been any light iluminated under these conditions. I suspect that the lack of retractors is causing the problem for you. I bet Venom's idea would work for you. By placing resistors with the correct value in place of the seat belt retractors, you would emulate their electrical "signature" and fool the ECU. You will still need to reset the ECU to get rid of the SRS light after the resistors are in place.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:57 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vapors2k
[B]

that is true as the retractors are have a certain resistance that is listed in the helms.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prolene
[B] Ahhhh... There is a Honda SRS tester which is a black plastic box with resistors inside.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:31 PM

Vapors2k, I think only the driver's side has the electrical connection under the seat. Perhaps the manual shows this connection being tested as well? There probably is no resistence in that so the paper clip, although not very elegant, should be ok, but I am guessing.

I had the passenger seat and seat belt out, so I had to do the srs reset, but I have not turned the car on without the driver's side under seat connection undone. I have the driver Mugen seat.

Quick Reply: SRS Light On - Any suggestions for resetting it?