S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

A squeal when I upshift and press the gas?

Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A squeal when I upshift and press the gas?

Hi all,

I was hoping you could give me some insight on strange noise.

I've been noticing for a while that whenever i'm moving and shift into the next gear and gas, I hear a squeal, kind of like the sound of a belt slipping for a couple of seconds. It's very faint and it appears as if it only occurs when I just switched gears and I press the gas.

It's really tough to judge where the sound is coming from, but it's from somewhere under the car. Could this be the diff?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 AM

possible clutch ...i had the squeal for a while and not too long after, my clutch breaks into peices. got new clutch installed, it stopped..
Old 04-01-2009, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by IlleztImportz,Apr 1 2009, 10:47 AM
possible clutch ...i had the squeal for a while and not too long after, my clutch breaks into peices. got new clutch installed, it stopped..
Btw it's an MY00 with 25k miles. Never been tracked or really abused.

Regardless, it could still be the clutch since I live and drive solely in the city.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your car stock?

Is it loud or more like a whistle? If it's loud enouh to capture on a vid, post it up. If it is more of a whistle, it may just be the intake as it sucks air.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:44 AM

[QUOTE=negcamber,Apr 1 2009, 11:14 AM] Is your car stock?

Is it loud or more like a whistle?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:50 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Boy thats a tuff one, something like this i could only suggest putting it out of your mind as best you can, I dont think its a matter of preventing something that may or may not already be showing its ugly face, such as the clutch issue stated as it may be. You can just live with it and wait and see if it becvomes more pronounced, I guess if your car has a failure of some sort you will know then whats up sometimes thats all you can do. Maybe someone will have more insight into this and help you diagnose the problem. In the 5 years ive had my S I have never experienced this one.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So just to throw another idea out there...with the engine off, go through the motions of upshifting...pedal work too. Do you still hear it?
Old 04-02-2009, 09:15 AM

i dont know about the OP but mine makes the sound mostly from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 and reverse from time to time. i CAN hear it with the window up. my fiance asks why i always 'peel out' when im not. maybe thatll describe the sound a little more. sounds like tire chirp but with like a 1-2 sec drag. only when clutch is being released and given throttle
Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

^^^ I bet it could be the clutching mechanism in the rear diff. I would check the fluid and change. Redline has treated me very well, Royal Purple has been good as well. I had issues with the honda fluid, lots of groaning and some vibration like the diff was hurting, the sound that is being described may be related. Its possible that sound could be rear wheel bearings. But wih that you would think that there would be some precivable vibration. Seems as though the car makes noise when it is under sudden load so thats part of what made me think of both of these potential issues.

Could also be a cv joint or driveline joint that is partially seized that would make that noise, mostly precivable from a stop.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by IlleztImportz,Apr 2 2009, 09:15 AM
i dont know about the OP but mine makes the sound mostly from 1-2 and sometimes 2-3 and reverse from time to time. i CAN hear it with the window up. my fiance asks why i always 'peel out' when im not. maybe thatll describe the sound a little more. sounds like tire chirp but with like a 1-2 sec drag. only when clutch is being released and given throttle
I can confirm and attest to this. It has to do with a combination of car moving in motion and me giving gas. I can also hear it with the windows up.

Sounds like the same thing you noticed. I don't think it's anything bad, I was just curious as to what the sound could be.

Quick Reply: A squeal when I upshift and press the gas?