S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The squeaky wheel

Old 03-15-2010, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The squeaky wheel

Right rear has a warbling high-pitch squeak. Trying to figure out what (and where) is causing it so that I can fix the problem. Doesn't seem to become apparent until I've drivin' for a bit. It started a couple months ago and got progressively worse. I was gone for 10 weeks (Army stuff) and just drove it for the 1st time since. Got about 10 miles in before it started again.

Any suggestions? And if so and you think you know, is there a dyi out there somewhere I can use as a reference?

Thanks!!

-Chris

Old 03-15-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how are your brakes? could be the squealer on those.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Mar 15 2010, 09:17 PM
how are your brakes? could be the squealer on those.
Def not the squeakers. That much I'm sure of. I've never ripped down much more than the brakes on any wheel on this car. Not even the rotors. So as far as what's under there, I'd imagine it's coming from in there somewhere.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM

Oh.... and the brakes are about 80%
Old 03-15-2010, 09:55 PM

check wheel bearing
Old 03-15-2010, 09:56 PM

I'm looking for an exploded view so I know where to actually find the bearing at? Any ideas?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:28 AM

rotational noise that becomes apparent after you've driven for a bit?
sounds like a wheel bearing. you won't really be able to "check" the wheel bearing, your best bet is to make sure it's not something else (ie brakes, diff, etc) then replace the wheel bearing on that side.

some people will say to "check" the bearing by grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 (or any other corresponding 180 degree locations) and try wiggling it to see if there's free play. if there is, you almost def have a bearing problem...but you can have a bad bearing without play also, so this method isn't foolproof.

your scenario sounds exactly like the first time my driver's rear bearing went bad. after the car was warmed up, there was a metallic rotational squeak that showed up, and became most evident when slowing to a stop. my guess is you've got a bad bearing

here's what the exploded view looks like:
Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was the same and I had the bearings replaced in the past. Since the dealership that did it would not stand behind their work (claiming 1 year warranty) I took a close look myself.

Concluded they has not been torqued down properly (or not staked right and loosened) I pulled the axle nut, greased the back, and torqued them back down.

Quiet for now but expect this will be an issue in the future.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:48 AM

forgot to mention (because it's been a while) that i re-torqued my axle nut once i heard the squeal, and it went away for a little while, but came back...probably a couple months later
Old 03-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by my2ks2k,Mar 16 2010, 05:28 AM
rotational noise that becomes apparent after you've driven for a bit?
sounds like a wheel bearing. you won't really be able to "check" the wheel bearing, your best bet is to make sure it's not something else (ie brakes, diff, etc) then replace the wheel bearing on that side.

some people will say to "check" the bearing by grabbing the wheel at 3 and 9 (or any other corresponding 180 degree locations) and try wiggling it to see if there's free play. if there is, you almost def have a bearing problem...but you can have a bad bearing without play also, so this method isn't foolproof.

your scenario sounds exactly like the first time my driver's rear bearing went bad. after the car was warmed up, there was a metallic rotational squeak that showed up, and became most evident when slowing to a stop. my guess is you've got a bad bearing

here's what the exploded view looks like:
That's EXACTLY it! And I have no play, but it truly SOUNDS like a bad bearing. I just ordered one for each side last night. Any benefit in replacing the hubs at the same time?

And thats a TON for the info!

-Chris

Quick Reply: The squeaky wheel