S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

squeaking, rattling, buzzing

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking, rattling, buzzing

hey guys

i bought my S a couple months ago with 96000 miles on the clock, year 2000. but over that time it's seemed to develop a number of noises. i will be bringing it to the mechanic soon but i would like to go armed with some ideas so i can cut down on being billed for diagnosing.

odd sound #1:

clutch buzz. i'm able to figure this one out for myself but what i'd like to know is if it is harmful to anything other than my hearing. or will the car physically be okay if i ignore it? from what i've read, i should be fine to leave it but i wouldn't mind more opinions.

odd sound #2:

squeaking during acceleration. i get a steady sound similar to crickets chirping when i'm at medium throttle and between 3500-4000rpm. the sound appears at different RPM ranges depending on what gear but always over a certain range of about ~500rpm. it's quiet if i floor it or go super easy on the pedal.

odd sound #3:

rattle/rumbling sound that appears to be coming from behind the seats, around the area where the soft top folds down in to. the sound is present whether the top is up or down, but more noticable when the top is up, probably because of less surrounding noise.

i'll do my best to answer any questions, hopefully you guys have some ideas. thanks for reading
Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 PM

1) VERY common. Just get a newer clutch disk and it'll go away. I got the exedy OEM replacement and its gone. at 96K miles, its time to look for a new clutch just in case anyways

2) Do you have a non-OEM airbox? they tend to whistle/squeak/chirp EXACTLY in the range you described. Its normally noticeable when going uphill so you can get the medium throttle +3-4K rpm range.

3) check your spare tire area? OR your secret compartment! (also, if you dont know where the secret compartment is...search on S2Ki...its a rite of passage )
Old 08-16-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz,Aug 15 2010, 09:46 PM
1) VERY common. Just get a newer clutch disk and it'll go away. I got the exedy OEM replacement and its gone. at 96K miles, its time to look for a new clutch just in case anyways

2) Do you have a non-OEM airbox? they tend to whistle/squeak/chirp EXACTLY in the range you described. Its normally noticeable when going uphill so you can get the medium throttle +3-4K rpm range.

3) check your spare tire area? OR your secret compartment! (also, if you dont know where the secret compartment is...search on S2Ki...its a rite of passage )
thanks for the tips!

1) since the car drives fine now, if i neglect the clutch buzz am i going to hurt anything besides what would normally replaced during a clutch job?

2) airbox is oem and latched together properly... but the filter is filthy. maybe i'll get a new one and play around with the airbox and see if the noise changes.

3) duh! didnt even think about the spare tire, i will check it out when i get home from work today and update.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:22 PM

The clutch buzz is normal it wont hurt anything.

The filter being dirty might cause the noise, but I'd also check for vacuum leaks/ frayed hoses/PCV valve.

Shake the PCV valve, its the little plastic thing thats going to your valve cover near the oil cap... it should pop right out. If it doesnt rattle, change that.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matt15,Aug 16 2010, 09:12 AM
thanks for the tips!

1) since the car drives fine now, if i neglect the clutch buzz am i going to hurt anything besides what would normally replaced during a clutch job?

2) airbox is oem and latched together properly... but the filter is filthy. maybe i'll get a new one and play around with the airbox and see if the noise changes.

3) duh! didnt even think about the spare tire, i will check it out when i get home from work today and update.
Check to make sure there is a divider in the airbox right at the top of the air filter (slimmer side). If there is not a divider the previous owner may have removed it like myself and it will cause a whissle noise.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:07 AM
t0m

I'm getting the same noise at the same RPM range! It's really noticeable in 3rd at around 3500-4000. I'll try and get a video of it and post it up. I know my airbox is missing one latch, the one closest to the engine and the filter is getting dirty.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:02 PM

for number 3...I heard a sound all the time behind the passenger seat while driving. It ended up being that the passenger seat was resting on the plastic behind the seat and all I did was move the seat up one notch and the top of the seat didnt shake anymore causing the noise.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by t0m,Aug 18 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm getting the same noise at the same RPM range! It's really noticeable in 3rd at around 3500-4000. I'll try and get a video of it and post it up. I know my airbox is missing one latch, the one closest to the engine and the filter is getting dirty.
thanks again for the replies guys.

t0m, it doesnt look like the filter being dirty has anything to do with it. i just swapped out my oem filter for a k&n yesterday and the sound is still there. next i'll have to check for vaccum leaks, etc as suggested above. the noise is also there whether the cover is on the airbox or not.