S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Squeaking, creaking from rear. Axle nut TSB did not work.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking, creaking from rear. Axle nut TSB did not work.

Kinda long but here goes...

Well I have been having this horriable squeaking,creaking crunching sound from the rear of my s2 for a very long time. I've ripped my hair out trying to find the problem. It happened every time the suspension flexed up and down. Like geting in and out of my car or going over bumps. I thought to myself "Yeah I'm fat but not that fat!" Anyways, I put the car on a lift. Didn't see any leaks, bushings were not torn everything seemed to be in place and in good working order. So I performed the axle nut TSB. Nothing! So I kept driving it for a very long time with my suspension making all this noise hoping it would eventually work itself out but never happpened. Needless to say I got fed up with noise and put it on a lift again. Saw nothing wrong again! I didn't want to put it back down without attempting to fix the noise, so out of desperation I grabbed a can of spray lube and sprayed all bushing and anything that rubs together. Worked fine for about a week but then came back. I did this for a year or so as a weekly ritual. But once again stopped working. CRAP! But then I thought I'd approach the situation differently. ALIGNMENT RACK! Once again the car was in the air but since it was on the alignment rack I was able to yank, tug, bounce and hang on the suspension. Wich I did and may have had a little to much fun doing. Noise was without a doubt comming from the rear control arms on both sides. Damn gonna need new bushings. I checked them again and they looked a little worn but not bad. Don't know why I didnt do this before but one of the voices in my head told me to check the control arm bolts to see if they are loose. Sure enough they were! They were really actually. I tightned them up and my car is now 100% squeak, creak and crunch free! WOW! What a relief! Not sure how they got loose. Maybe from all the canyon driving I do? Maybe. But I do know that is a now a potential problem with an easy fix and I thought I'd share. Hopes this helps anyone that has rear suspension noise that they can't get rid of!

Sorry for misspelling... was just excited to share
Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

can you add to the title something like fixed or solved, just so people have an idea when searching
Old 12-26-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
can you add to the title something like fixed or solved, just so people have an idea when searching

Good idea ! Will do.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Alot of computer forums I see will have Solved put into the title...saves alot of time when searching. Maybe we could implement a similar idea here.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM

i've had the same problem for about 4 months. went through all the same steps. i never even bothered trying this though. thanks for the idea, hopefully it works for me.