S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

squeak from transmission after fluid change

Old 10-14-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeak from transmission after fluid change

Hello,

I changed my transmission fluid about a month ago, and i've been experiencing squeaks from the transmission ever since. I used the Amsoil syncromesh manual transmission fluid. I spent the last month trying to figure out some kind of consistency in when the squeak happens, but it's seriously random.
Sometimes it happens while i'm in gear on the freeway, sometimes during gear change, sometimes when in neutral (but with clutch not pressed).

Has anyone ever experienced this after fluid change? Could it be that I didn't top it off correctly?
According to Honda manual, up to the fill bolt should be sufficient.. Any thoughts?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:36 AM

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Perhaps, try another tranny fluid. Go to Honda OEM stuff and see if that eliminates the issue.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Were you completely level when you did the fill? Perhaps your oil pump in the tranny is failing. I've seen this once before, essentially the squeak develops from the oil pump not feeding oil the the secondary shaft and the oil seal on the output flange starts squeaking from being "dry"

I would try and make sure you are 100% full of fluid by putting it on a lift and then run/drive the car on the lift to replicate and locate the sound.

Does it only squeak when pressing the clutch pedal? If so, that's more than likely related to your slave ball/clutch fork interaction.

Good luck and post up when you figure it out.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Jordan!!!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Were you completely level when you did the fill? Perhaps your oil pump in the tranny is failing. I've seen this once before, essentially the squeak develops from the oil pump not feeding oil the the secondary shaft and the oil seal on the output flange starts squeaking from being "dry"

I would try and make sure you are 100% full of fluid by putting it on a lift and then run/drive the car on the lift to replicate and locate the sound.

Does it only squeak when pressing the clutch pedal? If so, that's more than likely related to your slave ball/clutch fork interaction.

This.. I was on 4 jack stands, but I don't think I took too much caution to ensure I am level. Well.. my garage floor is not level, so it'd be impossible to keep it perfectly level one way or another unless I take it to a shop. Do you see any problem with having too much fluid in the transmission? Of course I won't flood it, but I could raise the car from the driver side only and add a little more fluid.

I really hope it's not the oil pump.. where is the tranny oil pump located anyways?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:47 PM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Get a carpenters level. Like from home depot. Drive car to level ground someplace (use level to know ground is level). Place level against underside of rocker. Note where bubble is.

Now in your garage jack one end higher to replicate same bubble location. Car is now level.

For better results, get a degree level. Its got a magnetic base, and you can see precisely how many degrees off level something is. Would be easier and more precise this way, but carpenters level would get you close enough.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by merkis1024
Originally Posted by jordanksartell' timestamp='1413368441' post='23370081

This.. I was on 4 jack stands, but I don't think I took too much caution to ensure I am level. Well.. my garage floor is not level, so it'd be impossible to keep it perfectly level one way or another unless I take it to a shop. Do you see any problem with having too much fluid in the transmission? Of course I won't flood it, but I could raise the car from the driver side only and add a little more fluid.

I really hope it's not the oil pump.. where is the tranny oil pump located anyways?
Tranny oil pump is located towards the tail end of the transmission. Next to the counter shaft.