S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Squeak from rear of car - new rotors and pads

Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be possible that during the install the tech did not clean and lube the stamped brass pieces that the pad ears sit on. As a consequence the first time you use the brakes, they may push the brass piece(s) against the disc, and they never move back. The fact that the pitch changes with speed means that it's something stationary ruing something spinning. I would suggest removing the pads, cleaning the surfaces, and checking for where contact with the disc might be from.

My buddy had this problem when he half-assed a brake job on his Mitsu Eclipse...that darn thing squeeled until he got a new car!

Bassem
Old 12-06-2005, 12:17 PM

Well I just took the car back to the same shop again for the fourth time and we took it for a ride and they acknowledged the sound. We put it on a lift with the car running and with the tires spinning in first and second you couldn't hear any sound. I am not sure whether it was from the weight or no load on the diff. He said their wasn't really any play on the wheels and he didn't think that it was the bearings but instead the diff. He ran a stethoscope over it and said their was a little vibration in the diff he could hear. As for diff fluids I had them changed when I got the car over a year ago, and I got them changed again this year. The mileage on the car over the year was only 18 - 19 thousand miles. But I am about to trip 90K total. I am thinking about taking it to the dealer to get a Honda diagnosis of the problem before replacing or repairing the diff. Any suggestions on what the tech said or on what I should look for in the diagnosis or the dealer related to the problem?

Thanks for all your help

Chris
Old 12-06-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The above would indicate to me that it's not likely brakes as brakes shouldn't car if the car is on the ground or not. At 90K miles, I'm still inclined to think wheel bearings. However, it could still be the diff. Have you been able to ascertain if the correct fluid was used?
As for the vibration via a stethoscope, you have some very large teeth meshing in there. I would expect a slight vibration as being not unusual. A loud whine under load is a different story.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 PM

The fluid used was Red Line 75 90 W I believe but the bottle is at home and I am going off memory here. I had the same oil in the diff for about a year before the squeak started on my car. Any idea how much I should be expecting to spend on a wheel bearing replacement or a new or rebuilt diff? I would assume $800 parts and $250 labor or so on the diff. I live in the Bay Area California so the prices here are a little higher on labor etc...

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-06-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJEphoric,Dec 6 2005, 05:02 PM
The fluid used was Red Line 75 90 W I believe but the bottle is at home and I am going off memory here. I had the same oil in the diff for about a year before the squeak started on my car. Any idea how much I should be expecting to spend on a wheel bearing replacement or a new or rebuilt diff? I would assume $800 parts and $250 labor or so on the diff. I live in the Bay Area California so the prices here are a little higher on labor etc...

Thanks,

Chris
Good. If the dealer put in their VTM fluid, you're screwed for sure.

I can't say about pricing as I'm in Canada and my prices are nowhere like yours.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 PM

I double checked the fluid and it was the Redline 75 90W, when I had it changed last month they tech at Jiffy Lube didnt say he saw any metal shavings or filings in it and it wasnt too dirty. I have a suspicion that it is the wheel bearing as well since the sound is only coming from the right hand side. I have never heard it coming from the left hand side at all. The tech who changed my brakes also mentioned that I need some new struts but it could wait until the next time I change my tires. He said this because on the front right their was something off about the camber or something. I will drop the vehicle off at a Honda dealership and have them do some sleuthing and see what they say. Thanks again for everyones help.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 10:05 PM

Well it turns out it was rust that was on the drive shaft. They cleaned it up and then greased it good. After paying I walked over to the sales department and purchased an MY05 Formula Red and traded MY00 in. At least I didnt go for the Elise.

Chris
Old 12-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Same thing for My 00 and My 01, (Got both) Change the Hub and Bearing. Wait toooo long and you'll be out of an Rear Drive shaft (Vibrate) and a Diffy after the Drive shaft. Don't learn it the hard way

BC