S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun rod bearing on weekly canyon car

Old 07-24-2017, 12:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Who knows if the previous owner ran it low on oil, or any signs of boost?

btw which oil were you using, I can't find any Lucas racing oil in our grade?
Old 07-24-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know it wasn't a mechanical over rev from down shifting cause I was on a uphill climb I hit th rev limiter before the braking zone and lost power. Any thoughts on maybe a cam crank synchronization issues from a stretched timing chain, a common issue, perhaps there was a delay between the engine and the computer allowing a slight over rev? Piston speed on a s2k is already past the generalized mechanical limit if it's slightly over reved it stress could be extremely high. Any thoughts? Opinions welcomed.

aftermarket computers usually have soft rev limiters then a hard rev limit to ensure there is no over rev I heard.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:26 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,418 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRman311
I pulled off the VC today no dropped valves but when I get a closer look I'll see if I cracked any retainers. I bet if I stopped right away I probably could have saved the block maybe done a stoker instead of a swap about the same price... but yeah thanks for the input, again opinions welcomed and I'll post pics a.s.a.p this would be a good case study and perhaps this could help not only myself but others in the s2k community understand the dynamics/longevity of a heavily driven motor.

I've been actually tracking mine for 11 years. And its been to like 11 or 12K RPM. I even finished off 3 track days on a cracked retainer.

I put in whatever oil is on the shelf. Usually Castrol. But its gotten all kinds of oil...including :gasp: conventional.

So...something abnormal must have happened to yours. These engines don't usually just let go.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
... And its been to like 11 or 12K RPM. I even finished off 3 track days on a cracked retainer...
????????
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
Who knows if the previous owner ran it low on oil, or any signs of boost?

btw which oil were you using, I can't find any Lucas racing oil in our grade?
No it looked completely untouched none of the bolt heads weren't marred from sockets it looked very well taken care of if you google lucas oil racing only 10w-30 that's the one I've put in it for the last two years I change it on regular basis usually every 4-4.5k about 4 times a year. It's the red label Lucas recently changed the label and viscosity to 5w-30 but I never got a chance to try the new formula. I've also tried driven motor oil which was also zinc fortified.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:22 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,540 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeRman311
If you google lucas oil racing only 10w-30.
Lucas Racing Oil comes in a range of weights. No? None are 10W-30.

https://lucasoil.com/products/racing...only-motor-oil
Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

this is interesting. please let us know what the teardown shows.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528
this is interesting. please let us know what the teardown shows.

will do! Wiring harness is about 85% disconnected, exhaust heat shields removed and manifold almost removed general tear down is underway. And the jdm ap1 swap is also being prepped. I got the motor from Hmotorsonline they are one our best local Honda stuff suppliers I got a D17a from them for my em2 civic so far it's been running like a champ. Hopefully this f20c is in good health. I'm gunna compress test it before install. I'll keep everyone up to date and I'm very interested in the tear down of the original motor. I'm hoping between an engineeer, a fabricator and a professional engine builder we can conclude a failure.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
Lucas Racing Oil comes in a range of weights. No? None are 10W-30.

https://lucasoil.com/products/racing...only-motor-oil

like I said they changed their label and viscosity. I picked up a box of it before they did at my local racing supplier DMP in chatsworth and summit racing. Since they changed their viscosity I've been using driven motor oil I did only 1 oil change in may using XP3 it was definitely premium quality oil.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by windhund116
"That may have been a factor is it possible that it may have been mechanically reved higher then the rev limiter allows."

AFAIK, this is only possible on downshifts and not upshifting, as long as rev limiter is enabled. This over-rev can happen in any car, during improper downshifting. Not just the S2000.

i wonder if cam crank synchronization issues from a stretched timing chain had any part of this it was a lil off when I checked it and I've been meaning to get the ballade sports adjustable timing gear to correct it. Also I wonder what the possible delay is between headwear, the engines mechanical timing and the computers ability to read, keep up and make changes. It's probably in milliseconds but it only probably takes couple tenths of a second to go 150-200 rpms past rev limit. Again... this is why I heard aftermarket ECU/PCM's have soft rev limiters then a hard rev limiter to ensure the motor cannot over rev during acceleration. An expericed tuner may confirm or deny this.

Also so keep in mind I was on a uphill Acceleration when the motor gave out, sounded like TCT failure at first but definitely rod knock after a few miles of trying to limp back home.

I feel like the s2000's obd2 diagnosics and ability to detect a faults are pretty crude, in came from an era of huge changes in emissions, and fault code detections, and it's probably pretty close to first generation "advanced/standardized" diagnostics, don't get me wrong I love my s2k and will never sell it but I feel like in the future I'd like to invest in a aftermarket ECU even with minimal bolt on's just for the potentially faster capabilities and better protection if properly tuned.

Last edited by TypeRman311; 07-25-2017 at 09:00 PM.