S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun a rod bearing..

Old 09-05-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why is everyone thinking that the cel would come on when the bearing spins? There are no rod bearing sensors LOL

And if the oil light is on (below 5psi with the factory pressure switch) the engine is already screwed

The bearings are what create oil pressure, if pressure drops the bearing is already toast.

It shouldn't be called an oil indicator it should be an engine replacement indicator.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhf2005
my car did not show any CEL lights or oil pressure light untill i heard the clatter..

archangle.. what did you do to your engine afterwards. did you replace or rebuild?
well if i had the knowledge back then that i do now i would have rebuilt it. but due to my lack of knowledge i pulled out a $5k loan and bought a used JDM engine w/ 35000mi on it just a reminder this was back in 04 so thats why the engine was so expensive without a tranny. If you have the means to rebuild i would. i really wish i had more knowledge about these engines back then my S would be so much farther along than it is.

So i say rebuild it
easy way out new/used engine
Old 09-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by speedjunky01
Why is everyone thinking that the cel would come on when the bearing spins? There are no rod bearing sensors LOL

And if the oil light is on (below 5psi with the factory pressure switch) the engine is already screwed

The bearings are what create oil pressure, if pressure drops the bearing is already toast.

It shouldn't be called an oil indicator it should be an engine replacement indicator.
Probably because the OP originally thought he/she dropped a valve.....
Old 09-05-2011, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by ArchAngel2K
Originally Posted by jhf2005' timestamp='1315184637' post='20943586
my car did not show any CEL lights or oil pressure light untill i heard the clatter..

archangle.. what did you do to your engine afterwards. did you replace or rebuild?
well if i had the knowledge back then that i do now i would have rebuilt it. but due to my lack of knowledge i pulled out a $5k loan and bought a used JDM engine w/ 35000mi on it just a reminder this was back in 04 so thats why the engine was so expensive without a tranny. If you have the means to rebuild i would. i really wish i had more knowledge about these engines back then my S would be so much farther along than it is.

So i say rebuild it
easy way out new/used engine
Same here, I bought a brand new engine when I couldve had a built monster for around the same price, I have felt your pain
Old 09-05-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO! you're right on the money with this one. Oil pressure light is a joke. I like how the owner's manual states that if you see this light while the engine is running then the engine can be severely damage... first time I spun a bearing I never saw any CEL or Oil pressure lights. could had been an over-rev before I bought the car. Did another F20 swap and if this one fails again I'll get my F22.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Yeah if the other bearing keep pressure above 5psi it won't even come on

Even with a dropped valve what code would it throw? No dropped valve code on any honda i have owned haha
Old 09-05-2011, 12:30 PM

Yeah if the other bearing keep pressure above 5psi it won't even come on

Even with a dropped valve what code would it throw? No dropped valve code on any honda i have owned haha
Usually you should get mulitple and/or random misfire codes(I did at least)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Yeah that makes sense but it's just the knock sensor picking up noise from the pistons hitting the valves

The knock sensor certainly isn't meant to detect dropped valves lol

It may not have come on because the rod bearings spinning wouldn't make the same frequency sound as the valves hitting, the knock sensor only picks up a specific band of sounds.

Either way what it boils down to is that nobody should depend on the cel or oil light to see if the motor is in trouble if you're questioning it, it's probably bad. Shut it down an tow it home!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Yeah that makes sense but it's just the knock sensor picking up noise from the pistons hitting the valves

The knock sensor certainly isn't meant to detect dropped valves lol

It may not have come on because the rod bearings spinning wouldn't make the same frequency sound as the valves hitting, the knock sensor only picks up a specific band of sounds.

Either way what it boils down to is that nobody should depend on the cel or oil light to see if the motor is in trouble if you're questioning it, it's probably bad. Shut it down an tow it home!
I never said a knock sensor is meant to detect dropped valves, the dropped valve only starts a chain reaction...we know not to depend on these lights however they are instruments to help pre-diagnose a possible/obvious engine failure. My question was simply if the OP and any indication from past or present that would result in his/her situation. I'm not here for a knock sensor pissing match, I am here to help understand/ figure out what happened. Either way, the damage is done.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM

Same here justin thought it was cool how it picked up the valves as a misfire code. Didnt know that.

Quick Reply: Spun a rod bearing..