S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*

Old 02-04-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Norccer
2 new rods and a new oem crankshaft on the way!!!

I didn't order the bearings because the guy on the other side of the phone told me that I will still have to measure to see which ones I need. I kind of thought that there would be a standard spec on the OEM crankshaft, but I guess I will order those once I get the other parts.

Engine will most likely be pulled this weekend and hopefully everything will be running in a few weeks.
You will need the stampings from the crankshaft as well as the rods to determine what size rod bearings you will actually need. Use the factory service manual and follow it to a T if you want good results. Honda makes something like 5 or 6 different size bearings just for the rods alone due to how tight of tolerances that this motor needs to be assembled with. Good luck with your endeavor. If you need an FSM, I can point you in the right direction.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
You will need the stampings from the crankshaft as well as the rods to determine what size rod bearings you will actually need. Use the factory service manual and follow it to a T if you want good results. Honda makes something like 5 or 6 different size bearings just for the rods alone due to how tight of tolerances that this motor needs to be assembled with. Good luck with your endeavor. If you need an FSM, I can point you in the right direction.
Yup.. it was some time ago since I assembled my old B18 block, but I'd assume you follow the same steps. As Jordan said, there are markings (I think on the crank) which correspond to a certain bearing size for each journal. You then order those and install them and set the crank in. Then you put a piece of plastigauge on each of the crank journals between the bearing and the crank. Then you install main caps, torque them to spec then remove the caps. Then you measure the little skwooshed plastiguage. If it's within spec for each journal, you're good to go, if not, you can use the next size larger/smaller bearings. Retest w/ plastigauge again till it's within spec. The same thing is done for the rod bearing/journal clearance. It's been a long time so I might've missed a couple steps, but that's the gist of checking the journal clearances w/ plastigauge. Anyone feel free to correct me, but this is generally how it's done. If you're assembling your bottom end, you most certainly need a helms manual. When reassembling everything dry, you put moly grease on all the journals to keep things lubed up when firing it up for the first time.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by jordanksartell' timestamp='1360004710' post='22313692
Yup.. it was some time ago since I assembled my old B18 block, but I'd assume you follow the same steps. As Jordan said, there are markings (I think on the crank) which correspond to a certain bearing size for each journal. You then order those and install them and set the crank in. Then you put a piece of plastigauge on each of the crank journals between the bearing and the crank. Then you install main caps, torque them to spec then remove the caps. Then you measure the little skwooshed plastiguage. If it's within spec for each journal, you're good to go, if not, you can use the next size larger/smaller bearings. Retest w/ plastigauge again till it's within spec. The same thing is done for the rod bearing/journal clearance. It's been a long time so I might've missed a couple steps, but that's the gist of checking the journal clearances w/ plastigauge. Anyone feel free to correct me, but this is generally how it's done. If you're assembling your bottom end, you most certainly need a helms manual. When reassembling everything dry, you put moly grease on all the journals to keep things lubed up when firing it up for the first time.
Nice nice... I have a full honda service manual if that will suffice. There is no block damage so I am fairly positive that everything will be great when I get everything swapped out. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to check the crank with a micrometer to verify that that wear and ovality is within factory limits. Looking at those photo's I'd say it isn't going to pass that test anymore. The only solution then (to have a repair that will last more than a couple of hundred miles) is to have the crank reground and to fit oversize bearings (also clean out all oilways and replace oil pump because swarf will have circulated in the oilways causing damage). That's all assuming Honda recommend such a repair (I'd guess in such a highly stressed engine they probably don't).

Over in the UK it seems you can buy used engines from write-offs reasonably cheap these days. Why don't you try this route instead (be a lot less hassle and probably as cheap/cheaper)?
Old 02-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mikdys
You need to check the crank with a micrometer to verify that that wear and ovality is within factory limits. Looking at those photo's I'd say it isn't going to pass that test anymore. The only solution then (to have a repair that will last more than a couple of hundred miles) is to have the crank reground and to fit UNDERSIZED bearings (also clean out all oilways and replace oil pump because swarf will have circulated in the oilways causing damage). That's all assuming Honda recommend such a repair (I'd guess in such a highly stressed engine they probably don't).

Over in the UK it seems you can buy used engines from write-offs reasonably cheap these days. Why don't you try this route instead (be a lot less hassle and probably as cheap/cheaper)?
The crank OD is your reference point.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by mikdys' timestamp='1360096575' post='22316460
You need to check the crank with a micrometer to verify that that wear and ovality is within factory limits. Looking at those photo's I'd say it isn't going to pass that test anymore. The only solution then (to have a repair that will last more than a couple of hundred miles) is to have the crank reground and to fit UNDERSIZED bearings (also clean out all oilways and replace oil pump because swarf will have circulated in the oilways causing damage). That's all assuming Honda recommend such a repair (I'd guess in such a highly stressed engine they probably don't).

Fair point but I still think a S/H engine is the best option (and that the crank is U/S as is)
Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1360098553' post='22316549
[quote name='mikdys' timestamp='1360096575' post='22316460']

Fair point but I still think a S/H engine is the best option (and that the crank is U/S as is)
[/quote]
Interesting points guys. Like I said though, I already ordered NEW OEM Crankshaft / connecting rod kits and will be purchasing a complete set of new main bearings / connecting rod bearings. The engine should run fine after that, yes?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:35 PM

If it was me I'd look to change the oil pump as well maybe?
Old 02-07-2013, 12:56 PM

If it was me I'd look to change the oil pump as well maybe?
The oil pump looked completely fine, but I am the type of person to play it safe. Right now the parts are backordered for a week so I can still add some other goodies if necessary. I picked up an engine hoist yesterday. I would like to get an engine stand, but I have heard that there have been problems with mounting the engine to the stand??
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something, but I could have sworn in a previous post you said that the cylinder walls are scored, but I don't think in any of your posts you mentioned you would replace the block or put sleeves in....

Quick Reply: Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*