S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*

Old 01-25-2013, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the oil pick up screen and take off your vtec selonoid and check that screen. If you find shavings in either of these locations that means they got to the head and work themselves into the cylinders. If this is the case then just get a new shortblock.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Norccer
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1359065358' post='22290409
In general... Spun rod bearings mean:

Crank = Throw away
Rod with spun bearing = Throw away.

Either replace the crank and that rod(s) and balance, or just replace the shortblock.
Replacing the crank, rods, and bearings will be substantially more cost-effective than purchasing a new shortblock, correct? As I said, I am willing to pull the engine and do all of the work.

I figure that it will be around $1000-$1500 vs. $2500 - $4000 for a new block.

Also, I am going to take calipers to the crank this weekend and also check to see if it is marred/burned etc.
It really depends on how far the damage went. I wouldn't bother with that crank as it will be likely that you'll have failure down the road reusing it.

Here's what your crank is likely to look like:

Here's what your rod is likely to have experienced:

The opposite side of the rod (still on the big end) is likely discolored from heat and splayed. If the rod cap is hard to take off, it's because the bolts are now sitting like this: \ /

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1359066723' post='22290535
[quote name='yamahaSHO' timestamp='1359065358' post='22290409']
In general... Spun rod bearings mean:

Crank = Throw away
Rod with spun bearing = Throw away.

Either replace the crank and that rod(s) and balance, or just replace the shortblock.
Replacing the crank, rods, and bearings will be substantially more cost-effective than purchasing a new shortblock, correct? As I said, I am willing to pull the engine and do all of the work.

I figure that it will be around $1000-$1500 vs. $2500 - $4000 for a new block.

Also, I am going to take calipers to the crank this weekend and also check to see if it is marred/burned etc.
If your in Florida, a member is selling a F22c block with decent miles for $1300. reason for sell is, he just decided to build is block, he's willing to ship it....Here you go
[/quote]

This is the route I would take. Buy a good used engine, replace the bearings, and swap your good parts over.

Originally Posted by Speakeasy2009
Originally Posted by Norccer' timestamp='1359064025' post='22290323
[quote name='apme123' timestamp='1359063718' post='22290310']
Learn to check your oil, I am sure after an expensive lesson like this you will be checking it every fill up. "BOTH SIDES OF THE DIPSTICK"
Indeed, I was a bit naive about the oil consumption of the F20C engine. I have been doing regular oil changes every 3000 miles with the OEM oil filter and Mobil 1 full synthetic. I checked my oil before and after all track days, but I never thought to check it every fill up since I am always so busy each day. It is definitely an expensive lesson considering I did not account for any potential oil leaks occurring.

On a tangent, I plan to do a full write-up with pictures (documenting everything) on checking the bearings etc. Hopefully, it will help others.
From what ive read on here, the F20c EATS Mobil 1 like a teenager on a pot binge. I use Penzoil Platinum full syn and I would say I add about 2/3 a quart between the 7K miles I drive before a change. Really sucks this happened to you but like they always say, you live..you learn..
[/quote]

I haven't seen a performance car that doesn't eat the quickly shearing Mobil 1 oil.

Originally Posted by 4forall
Check the oil pick up screen and take off your vtec selonoid and check that screen. If you find shavings in either of these locations that means they got to the head and work themselves into the cylinders. If this is the case then just get a new shortblock.
It's highly unlikely that the shavings will get through the oil pickup screen and the filter. If you really want to see where the material has gone, don't flip the engine over on a stand to take off the oil pan. It will spread shavings everywhere when you do that.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Especially, thank you YamahaSHO. I have a plenitude of pictures that I will post tomorrow. My crankshaft on cylinders #1 and #2 is slightly scored, but nothing as significant as the pictures that you posted. I felt the crankshaft in the "scored" spots and it feels extremely smooth. I will still measure them and replace all of the connecting rod bearings. What I need to know is if the scoring is significant enough to get the crank polished.

Thanks all, until tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 05:20 AM

Normally if you can see wear it's already too much. You're talking about clearances between 0.0007 - 0.002".
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K
Normally if you can see wear it's already too much. You're talking about clearances between 0.0007 - 0.002".
I can understand that, but since it is very minimal I would argue that I don't need new rods at least. I will get the pics up later today for everybody to have a look at. They are on my friend's camera so I don't have the ability to get them right now.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

sorry to hear man.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaS2K' timestamp='1359296437' post='22295908
I can understand that, but since it is very minimal I would argue that I don't need new rods at least. I will get the pics up later today for everybody to have a look at. They are on my friend's camera so I don't have the ability to get them right now.
I've seen people replace rod bearings on car that have spun them in the past. They ended up spinning them again, some on the very first drive.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
sorry to hear man.
Thanks. Hopefully, I will get things fixed soon.

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
Originally Posted by Norccer' timestamp='1359317062' post='22296330
[quote name='SouthDakotaS2K' timestamp='1359296437' post='22295908']
I've seen people replace rod bearings on car that have spun them in the past. They ended up spinning them again, some on the very first drive.
[/quote]

I think that I will pull the crankshaft to get it professionally polished if that is the case. ~~ still waiting on the pictures.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

I think Billman would disagree with calling this motor quits yet. If it were me, I think id just spend the $150 on another set of bearings, remove the end caps and replace them and bolt the pan back on and give it a go. There is a chance this could solve the issue indefinitely. For the minimal cost and effort it takes to do this, wouldn't it be worth trying, if is saved you the $3-4k and headache of doing a motor swap?
Old 01-27-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
I think Billman would disagree with calling this motor quits yet. If it were me, I think id just spend the $150 on another set of bearings, remove the end caps and replace them and bolt the pan back on and give it a go. There is a chance this could solve the issue indefinitely. For the minimal cost and effort it takes to do this, wouldn't it be worth trying, if is saved you the $3-4k and headache of doing a motor swap?
Pending the damage, this could be an option.

Quick Reply: Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*