S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*

Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

If you grind the crank, you will use undersized bearings because the crank journal is undersized. If the crank is surfaced hardened, you will lose that with turning it. I

I know there have been a few short blocks for sale here. Maybe post a WTB, buy, then refresh that motor with new bearings.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Car Analogy, thank you very much for the informative post. I have decided to purchase a new OEM crankshaft, 2 new rods, all new connecting rod bearings, and new bolts as well. I am going this route so that I do not have any potential problems in the future. I think that this is the best way to go for me; I want to do this right.

So the list of new parts:

New OEM crankshaft
2 New rods
4 New connecting rod bearings
New bolts for the engine (where I took/take apart shit)
Plastigages...

What else am I missing? I will have to get it balanced as well, but are there any parts I am blanking on?

Thanks a lot guys. This seems like the best route, correct?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason it failed the first place..
Oil
Oh and fix wherever the oil leak was coming from
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Norccer
Car Analogy, thank you very much for the informative post. I have decided to purchase a new OEM crankshaft, 2 new rods, all new connecting rod bearings, and new bolts as well. I am going this route so that I do not have any potential problems in the future. I think that this is the best way to go for me; I want to do this right.

New OEM crankshaft
2 New rods
Plastigages...

What else am I missing? I will have to get it balanced as well, but are there any parts I am blanking on?

Main bearings? With what looks like oil starvation on at least two rods the mains may not be far behind. Besides it would be a shame to toss in a brand new crank on top of old worn mains.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:35 AM

How do I know the specs of the new crankshaft for the new main/rod bearings? I would like to order everything at the same time. Thanks

I just don't know what color bearings to get.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

If you're ordering new, it should all be "standard".
Old 01-30-2013, 08:03 AM

Great, that is what I thought. Just wanted to double check so there are no weird surprises. I will probably start the "rebuild" in a few weeks when I get a hoist and stand for the engine.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Norccer

New OEM crankshaft
2 New rods
Plastigages...

I'm guessing that you did not add new seals and gaskets to you list because it is a given that you would replace those..........
Old 01-30-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by realblag
Originally Posted by Norccer' timestamp='1359425978' post='22299234

New OEM crankshaft
2 New rods
Plastigages...

I'm guessing that you did not add new seals and gaskets to you list because it is a given that you would replace those..........
Yeah, of course. Except I am not buying a gasket... I am using Honda bond. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 AM

2 new rods and a new oem crankshaft on the way!!!

I didn't order the bearings because the guy on the other side of the phone told me that I will still have to measure to see which ones I need. I kind of thought that there would be a standard spec on the OEM crankshaft, but I guess I will order those once I get the other parts.

Engine will most likely be pulled this weekend and hopefully everything will be running in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Spun Connecting Rod Bearings Question *UPDATE ON POST #21 W/ PICTURES*