S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon Thermostat/Switch

Old 11-15-2001, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Thermostat/Switch

Hi guys.. just received parts that I ordered from Import Development. My question is, where the heck is the thermostat and switch on our cars??? I'm trying to install the Spoon parts, but unable to locate the factory parts. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2001, 11:01 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

The thermostat switch is in the bottom tank of the radiator on the drivers side. The thermostat is a bit more involved. It is easiest to do from underneath. It is located on the drivers side of the block near the front in a thermostat housing. I suggest you should get the Helms manual to make sure you do things correctly. I would not replace the fan switch until the thermostat is in place or the fan will be on most of the time. Also, make sure you "bleed" the air out of the coolant. You can't just add coolant until the radiator is full.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sideways, how do you bleed the coolant line or make sure that there's no more air pockets in the line?
Old 11-15-2001, 11:11 AM

Coolant?? Hmm.. how does that get involved? Maybe I should let someone with more experience do it for me. I thought these were just bolt on parts....
Old 11-15-2001, 11:38 AM

This mod isn't very difficult -- it is just awkward. I did them both at the same time, plus flushing the radiator. It took about 90 minutes, I think.

For the thermoswitch, you need to remove the undertray protecting the radiator. The switch is at the bottom driver's side of the radiator. Removing the old one and tightening the new one are frustrating because there is little room to move a wrench. Otherwise, it is a piece of cake.

For the thermostat, it is a similar deal. It is hard to get room to break loose the bolts and to retighten them. I think cdelena was the person who suggested using a 'wobble' wrench and extensions, and that really helped. When you remove the thermostat housing (two bolts) you will get a face full of coolant if you aren't careful. Again, installing the thermostat is a piece of cake otherwise.

Bleeding the coolant line is a matter of unscrewing a bolt until coolant comes out, then removing a rubber plug from a second line until more coolant comes out. The problem is that you need to look at the helm manual to see which bolt and which line. The manual says that you can bleed it with the car off, but I had to turn it on to get the line bled, resulting in a pretty green fountain in my garage.

In my opinion, you should have the Helm manual to get the procedure right. It is only $60 or $65 and comes in handy all the time, at least for me (I can't remember the torque values for the caliper bolts when I change my brake pads).

Also, consider using Waterwetter with a lower mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Waterwetter increases the heat transfer coefficient, making the cooling more effective.

HTH,
Tanq
Old 11-15-2001, 11:46 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Actually there is a bleed bolt located in the drivers side near the front of the engine next to the valve cover. Bleed there until no air. Then there is also a bleed cap on the heater bypass tube on the firewall. The bleed cap should be bled after the bolt. Then you top off the radiator and leaving the cap off run the engine until the fan goes on twice. Then top off the radiator and close it up. I would suggest having it done unless you have the Helms manual are really up to the muss and fuss.