S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon Sports B&B crate motor DYNO RESULTS!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 24 2004, 02:03 PM
(apparently, optimal conditions are ~75degrees F and 0% humidity).
It isn't that "optimal" conditions would be 75 F. 75F is just considered to be the "standard" for room temperature. If ambient is below 75 F, the correction factor will be less than 1.

Great catch!
Old 10-24-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 24 2004, 09:03 PM
I suspect that this shop may be fudging the correction factor in an attempt to estimate Flywheel hp, instead of actual rear wheel hp.
Hmmm right!
Old 10-24-2004, 04:22 PM

*This is VeilsideAP1 posting under my roommates username*

Well, I will be calling Titan tommorrow to verify what you are saying, and while I will not say it is impossible that they "fudged" the CF, I do know that it was a great deal hotter than the 83 degrees that the sheet lists, and I also do not know where they took the temp from. He had a great deal of trouble getting the machine to display the correction factors, so I'm not entirely sure how accurate they truely are... Believe me when I say I want a straight answer and will provide one to the members of this board, be you right or wrong. I have nothing to gain from distributing misinformation. I have had a compression test, and the results were in my past thread... I will try to link it later on...
Old 10-24-2004, 07:57 PM

I find it hard to believe that this engine is making close to 150hp/litre running stock cams and redline. The mods on the list are relatively minor (powerwise) with the only real major one being the ported head. From what I've seen, to really make use of the improved port on the same dispalcement, redline has to be raised considerably or run a more aggressive cam.
Old 10-25-2004, 04:41 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nzaizar,Oct 24 2004, 07:22 PM
I have had a compression test, and the results were in my past thread... I will try to link it later on...
I stated this in your other thread. Your compression test does not show compression ratio. In fact your numbers were lower then stock s2000s so your compression test can be thrown out a window. A compression test is only good to give you an idea of how well your engine is running. It is not the proper method to test CR.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:37 AM

SC? doesn't sound like a good idea with the compression what if it blows? there goes a perfectly good spoon motor with great balance and power in imo i would just leave it just like that ,i would not do anything to the motor,you might be risking the power output that it has produced if you ever have to rebuild,otherwise damn sweet power probably the best investment na wise i think
Old 10-25-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by turbo_pwr,Oct 25 2004, 08:41 AM
I stated this in your other thread. Your compression test does not show compression ratio. In fact your numbers were lower then stock s2000s so your compression test can be thrown out a window. A compression test is only good to give you an idea of how well your engine is running. It is not the proper method to test CR.
and as I stated in that thread this is what my mechanic had said to me. I also mentioned the numbers the stockers had given, and find it hard to believe (and know for a fact you didn't mention) that my numbers were below stock. While a compression test itself isn't an "accurate" way of determining a true CR, this was what he determined from working on it and seeing the CT. Please forgive me if I am more inclined to listen to what my mechanic says than what your post tells me.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:22 AM

^that was me again. I appologize, we always forget to logoff our accounts and we share a computer right now....
Old 10-25-2004, 09:24 AM

Just an update unrelated to invalid allegations of incompetence that seem so prevalent on this board, I have put in a call to Titan, and am awaiting a call back from the tuner. He was busy working on another car, but I should be recieving a call back today...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nzaizar,Oct 24 2004, 07:22 PM
Well, I will be calling Titan tommorrow to verify what you are saying, and while I will not say it is impossible that they "fudged" the CF, I do know that it was a great deal hotter than the 83 degrees that the sheet lists, and I also do not know where they took the temp from.
I'm interested to hear Titan's reasoning behind the high CF. Aren't you in FL? If so, I have a hard time believing that it was "a great deal hotter than 83 degrees" last week... unless "a great deal hotter" really means 5-6 degrees hotter. Even if that were the case, it still wouldn't qualify for a 20% Correction Factor.
By the way, I don't think anyone said anything about incompetence. They are probably perfectly competent, but may have a specific reason for "altering" the Correction Factor.

Also, I agree w/ turbo_pwr that you won't really be able to tell what your CR is just by doing a compression test. I believe there is a way to calculate it based on the numbers from your compression test, but that assumes that you are not losing any compression anywhere, and even then, I'm sure there are enough variables to make this method of calculation inconsistent. The best way to find the CR is to actually measure all the necessary variables (combustion chamber size, stroke, etc).
Since the numbers from my old compression test were 240-250, and yours were 205-225, I would suspect that your compression ratio is actually lower than stock, rather than higher... but that's just a WAG, without actually tearing the engine apart.

Edit: I just checked out Weather Underground, and it shows a high of 82 degrees F for 22-Oct-2004. Humidity was pretty high, but still not enough to warrant a 20% correction factor.

Quick Reply: Spoon Sports B&B crate motor DYNO RESULTS!