S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

spoon lsd

Old 11-24-2004, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

viper11blue, in your opinion the SPoon LSd by himself alone make a major difference in the S compare to the stock one, or it needs extra mods like the final gear and others! ?

I
Old 11-24-2004, 09:08 AM

why not go for a 2way LSD? I know someone can get hold of ATS carbon for 1200 bucks
Old 11-24-2004, 03:36 PM

well it all depends on what you want to do with the car and how you personally want it to perform...
if you like how it performs while it picks up then the gearing is fine..
But me personally i like to race and the s has always been lacking torque..
so i changed the gearing to a 456 ratio and now i have tones of bottom end..
Mind you my gas milage on the highway sucks but i am not intersted in cruising i just want to pick up quick.It jumped my rpm's up about 900 rpm .
It feels like i took out the 6'th gear and put another first gear on, but mind you it really feels like a race car and performs the same.
just make sure that you research it and talk to alot of guys that have done the swap and find out what gear ratio would suit your needs, cause if you put the wrong one in you will hate driving the car cause it is not performing like you want.
mine is set up perfect for the drag strip and thats where i spend most of my time.
if you just want performance and still want to cruise I recomend the vortec charger with the after cooler kit, that was my first mod and it made the car way more peppy and you still could cruise down town if you wanted it..
good luck...
Hope it all works out..
dave..
Old 11-27-2004, 06:48 AM

Thanks again

Best regards,
Old 12-18-2004, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just also installed my spoon lsd with a combo of the race clutch and flywheel...it is also the loudest rear diff i ever heard too...ppl give me funny stares when i drive by...it is like this...a few more diff fluid changes eventually the sound goes away..also the race clutch is quite hard to drive from 1st gear start...it takes time to get use to...but i recommend the race clutch not a good daily driver clutch..what i was told that the spoon race clutch is also not a good launching clutch..mostly only good for grip and track driving..if u plan to drag your car not recommended...i don;t drag so i am ok with it..stalled a few times with it but i getting use to it heehee
Old 12-18-2004, 03:03 PM

I bought the Cusco 1.5 RS and it chatters like a mofo too at low speed, but it still has a very low mileage on it. I run Motul diff oil at the moment. I forget about that driving in turns at any kind of speed over 30mph, it's amazing compared to the stock LSD, so I'll live with the noise nuisance.

My friend had the ATS LSD with the carbon gears and he experienced no noise and chatter, regardless of diff fluid I think. If I had to do over, I'd probably go with this setup since my car is used on the street. The ATS costs more than the Kaaz and Cusco, but I'd say the few hundred extra bucks to have a carbon gear set up is worth it.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:44 PM

seriously guys drive with the kazz fluid in it and amsoil diff additive and the diff gets really quiet.
i am now a firm believer that the clutched lsd is the best,my car is now sleeping cause of the snow but when i broke that baby in it grabs like no other. you guys that have the spoon or cussco know what i mean .
s2k is the best car i have ever owned.
as for that spoon clutch what do you think of the bully stage 2, thats what my freind recomended.
what do you think
Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yellowknockers,Dec 18 2004, 04:03 PM
I bought the Cusco 1.5 RS and it chatters like a mofo too at low speed, but it still has a very low mileage on it. I run Motul diff oil at the moment. I forget about that driving in turns at any kind of speed over 30mph, it's amazing compared to the stock LSD, so I'll live with the noise nuisance.

My friend had the ATS LSD with the carbon gears and he experienced no noise and chatter, regardless of diff fluid I think. If I had to do over, I'd probably go with this setup since my car is used on the street. The ATS costs more than the Kaaz and Cusco, but I'd say the few hundred extra bucks to have a carbon gear set up is worth it.
The reason the RS model chatters at low speed is due to the lowest in industry design of the LSD itself. It has helper springs in the LSD which allows for the LSD to have the lowest Initial TQ of all after market LSD (ATS, Spoon, Kaaz, etc.) So if having the best performing LSD is your goal, Cusco is it. If you want a quieter LSD which can still perform, look into the ATS carbon.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by bluesaint,Dec 18 2004, 10:04 PM
The reason the RS model chatters at low speed is due to the lowest in industry design of the LSD itself. It has helper springs in the LSD which allows for the LSD to have the lowest Initial TQ of all after market LSD (ATS, Spoon, Kaaz, etc.) So if having the best performing LSD is your goal, Cusco is it. If you want a quieter LSD which can still perform, look into the ATS carbon.
I can live with chatter, what that sucker does in the turns with traction is absolutely amazing compared to stock.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by yellowknockers,Dec 18 2004, 04:03 PM

are you sure it was installed correctly?

Quick Reply: spoon lsd