S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon Head gasket

Old 05-27-2003, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody got any experience with this part.

I'm about to install it along with a Spoon ECU and already have all of the other Spoon bits'n'bobs like exhaust, header, decat, intake, hollowed airbox, cooling, plugs, etc, etc.

I run nothing less than 97 octance fuel and the research I did (OK, Spoon website) told me there should no problems and that it would compliment the rest of my mods.

However, when I gave the part to my Honda dealer who installs all my mods, I got a bit of teeth sucking saying it was quite a big change. Its reducing from 0.75mm to 0.46mm and i quote "A torque rise of an inside low speed is possible for a head gasket at 0.45mm thinner than std. Moreover, seal nature and durability are also more than stds".

Can any tech guys see any problems or have any comments? And reading coquinns comments on this post: here don't exactly fill me with confidence. I'm now worried that the 4.77 final drive i'm also fitting will mask any power loss and the nearest dyno is a boat trip away so I can't easily verify any power figures.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO,
As what everybody will tell you ...the F20C engine is pretty well tuned, stock.....There is only so much you can do to increase power gains.... On a typical car just changing the i/h/e will show significant gains, but this is not the case with the S.

I truly believe the only why to show significant gains to the S (N/A) is to perform modifications to the internal of the engine, Port and polish, Raising the comp- thinner head gasket, lighter valves,more aggressive cams and a programmable ECU be it via a piggy back or more better.... a stand alone. If your still not happy then go with the feels 2.3 stroker kit......

You must remember not all cars behave the same. With the same mods, some have dynoed more than others. Having a non tunable ECU like the Spoon or Mugen is probably not the best solution. I believe for every car requires fine tuning.

Beroz