S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon Earthing Kit

Old 07-23-2004, 05:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Jul 22 2004, 06:26 PM
What'a an "spl" car?
Sound pressure level car. I'm assuming a car SpeedxRacer uses in car stereo competitions.
Old 07-23-2004, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Jul 23 2004, 08:25 AM
I guess the difference is I can make a scientific case for saying it is a ripoff, there are dynos showing it is a ripoff, and I live in a world where such empiric information DOES make a difference. And sharing facts does not = flame.

I could care less about his money - Franklin said "a fool and his money are soon parted". Prima facie evidence has been herein displayed.

If I saw someone putting a gun to his head and said "Stop" and he said it had blanks in it, I would still say "Stop" - would you say "it's his head?".

Of course, not having a "spl" car, I probably have no moral authority to comment, right?
RR

While I respect all of your scientific write ups regarding on oil, tranny fluid etc etc
Old 07-23-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bass:

I too think we should all look out for one another in this car community, which is why I posted what I did - now that I (we all?) know what an SPL (it is usually capitalized) car is, then perhaps my response might have been in a different form.

But I would intercede if I saw someone doing something willingly that might harm them, yes, and that was the intent. And our legal system provides for intercessions to help those who might harm themselves, so we are not free to do what we will, even with our money. Every day, people are declared incapable of managing their affairs, and is a policeman or woman who risks his (her) life trying to save a potential suicide violating that person's rights? There is enough complacency in the world, IMO - if more people were willing to say "that's wrong" rather than "whatever", who knows - we might enter a spike of social evolution.

Sometimes one does not have the luxury of time or hindsight - for all I knew, he was just about to hit enter and order one of the Spoon kits off the Net (he had the gun to his head). Coral Doc apparently read the opening post in the same way, or did I miss that too, Doc?

I do not have a pedestal; I will admit to occasionally standing on the shoulders of scientific giants (to paraphrase Albert Einstein), and it provides a good view of the world.

I don't think I consistently blast people, but neither will I suffer a fool; however, if I offended you or efthimios, then I apologize.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Administrator

OK, everyone go back to their neutral corners please. Both Bass and RR make valid points but unfortunately, most of them aren't relevant to helping efthimios with his question.

Carry on.
Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 AM

No worries everyone, I'm definetely not going to get offended because someone doesnt' agree with my mods...it's not a big deal...I purchased them knowing the contraversy of their nature........but at least answer my question, what is need to fit them to the OEM battery .....thanx Bass for your thoughts, RR-no prob, you have your views and I have mine...we're all driving an S2000 with a smile on our face in the end
Old 07-23-2004, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ludedude,Jul 23 2004, 01:25 PM
OK, everyone go back to their neutral corners please. Both Bass and RR make valid points but unfortunately, most of them aren't relevant to helping efthimios with his question.

Carry on.
haha...thanx buddy
Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SPL = sound pressure level... I use to do audio competitions and a grounding kit does wonders even on a stock alternator to keep the voltage up. Now what does that translate to on a performance car? Probally not a noticeable difference but keeping the voltage constant could help with the spark in extreme cases. Not scientifically proven but hey.. you can make a DIY kit for 10 bucks.. it doesnt hurt to have a larger grounding point on any car.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, it is open again.

1) RE: 1st point. Are you saying that a 100-ampere alternator (12 VDC nominal) = 1200 watts of current, will produce MORE current when a thicker ground cable is used? The starter is normally the highest draw, and it has gauge way less than 6, and there is no current loss there.

Even if you are using a 200-ampere alternator, the stock cables by my calculation are more than low enough in 'R' to produce full output. Again, as the other EE's have popsted before, one either has adequately low grounding resistance, or one does not. But there is nothing in Maxwellian electromagnetics or Ohm's Law that provides for any truth that a ground cable the size of an anaconda has any significant benefits, unless the stock system is inadequate. How is it inadequate, and can you provide numbers about the "wonders"? Wonders suggests at elast an order of magnitude.

2) Actually, you can, especially if the kit is home made. I have seen some silly, amateur brewed ground cables where the dielectric and the copper chemically oxidized. And having grounds at different electrical potentials is a common source of ground loops - many of the readers here will have found that out when they connected their CATV to be used as an antenna for FM. Since the AC mains and the CATV are grounded at different locations and potentials, they can induce current "talk" through the respective grounds, which can lower the S/N ratio of an amplifier's circuit, and produce 60-Hz hum, and video "hum bars" on the screen.
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundl...me_solving.html

The problem is so well known that their exist many "fixes" - grounding of any electrucal system should follow proper electrical engineering, and appropriate NEC code regulations.

The point is, all of these topics have been addressed by both the discoverers of the principles (Maxwell, Ohm, etc) and the problems investuigated and corrected by many subsequent practitioners. It is not magic - it is simple applied science.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though I dont see the need for one myself, I was asked by a board member for help and if the clip is the one I am thinking of I cut the metal tab that would have gone on another size battery post that would have been ugly and useless on our cars! I am sorry I don't have pics but, I think I know what you are asking - there was a flange on this clip that I was able to mount to the battery terminal with the stock nut/bolt after the useless piece was cut away!
Old 07-23-2004, 02:02 PM
tru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here subscibe to turbo magazine? in older issues (few month ago) almost every issue they put a hyper ground (made by sun industries) in almost all of there dyno cell section and it did have gains.

Quick Reply: Spoon Earthing Kit