S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spoon CF Air Duct vs. CAI set up

Old 01-30-2002, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon CF Air Duct vs. CAI set up

What's the deal with these? How well do they actually work? Who has one and did you notice a difference? Has anyone ever dyno'd this thing? With a JR filter and one of these CF air ducts how close are you in gains to say an Injen CAI setup? Mingster, do you have these in stock? It seems like for the same price I could get a full CAI set up...what are the advatnages and disadvantages?
Old 01-30-2002, 08:42 PM
Banned

There was a VERY recent thread discussing these. I'd find it for you, but I'd be too lazy to find it for myself...Just looking at the design should tell you the CAI will work much better. I have the Injen myself, and LOVE it.

Blake
Old 01-30-2002, 08:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by infinitebass
There was a VERY recent thread discussing these. I'd find it for you, but I'd be too lazy to find it for myself...Just looking at the design should tell you the CAI will work much better. I have the Injen myself, and LOVE it.

Blake
Can you put into words why (anybody)? I'm currently in a debate with myself on either getting the AEM CAI or getting the Mingster "snorkel" to go with the JR filter I already have. My past temp recordings have indicated that with my "modded" stock setup, pre TB air temps are near ambient even on a hot summer day. I'm presuming that with an attached snorkel, you could have a slight "ram" effect also (at speed). So what about the design of a CAI that makes it so much better? It can't be only that it can get ambient air to the TB because if this were the case then you wouldn't be able to say it "works much better". Even this last statement could be dubious since the thin metal tubing of the CAI lies in heat of the engine bay and I don't see anybody insulating it. I'm not poking fun. I really want to know to help me decide.
Old 01-31-2002, 05:40 AM

I made my own CAI. I should post pics.

I have the BYS Intake plate. In the front grill I put a duct which blows air into the BYS snorkel to the OEM box which has a JR filter. Seems to work really good.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KeithD
[B]I made my own CAI.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:32 AM

http://www.rsxworld.com/forums/showthread....s=&threadid=537

please see my short writeup on various intakes.

it all depends on what you're looking for. and if you want my honest opinion, PM or email me.
Old 01-31-2002, 01:16 PM
Banned

As I myself have learned, flow rate of a gas has to do with the crossectional area of whatever it is flowing through. Compare the area of the Injen tubing (3inches or so diameter) to the CF "snorkel". And its at the smallest place that the amount of flow is controlled, which is where the snorkel pinches down. I agree it would have an effect at high rates of speed, but virtually no help down low.

As far as intake temp goes, when I came back from the dragstrip this past Friday, it was about 50 degrees outside, and I had been on the highway for about 30-45 minutes, then 5-10 minutes of stop and go traffic. I parked to drop a friend off and show him the intake. We popped the hood and I grabbed the intake (poor chrome...) about 6-10 inches from the TB, about where the other small hose comes off of it on the top. The intake was actually on the cool side. I was very impressed. I remember changing out my TB, and the stock intake being quite hot for a while.

Blake
Old 01-31-2002, 02:41 PM

Can someone please post the link to the recently related thread? I've lost track of it unfortunately...

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-31-2002, 07:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by infinitebass
[B]As I myself have learned, flow rate of a gas has to do with the crossectional area
Old 01-31-2002, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by infinitebass
[B]
As far as intake temp goes, when I came back from the dragstrip this past Friday, it was about 50 degrees outside, and I had been on the highway for about 30-45 minutes, then 5-10 minutes of stop and go traffic. I parked to drop a friend off and show him the intake. We popped the hood and I grabbed the intake (poor chrome...) about 6-10 inches from the TB, about where the other small hose comes off of it on the top. The intake was actually on the cool side. I was very impressed. I remember changing out my TB, and the stock intake being quite hot for a while.

Quick Reply: Spoon CF Air Duct vs. CAI set up