S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spool Turbo kit

Old 04-18-2003, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can vouch for Terry at Spool ITS. I had one of his first turbo kits on my MP3 and the manifold was very high quality. His customer service is second to none also. He's always ready to answer questions.

As for the differences between the two manifolds, it's pretty easy to see from the photos. They are exactly the same in design. The only differences I see is that the Spool manifold is ceramic coated and has the external wastegate flange on the manifold itself. In my opinion, it's better to have an external wastegate mounted on a flange directly on the manifold.

I'm sure both the kits are great, it just comes down to your personal preferences.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:48 PM

excuse my ignorance, but just to clear it up. How does your manifold differ from the others, in particular the Ultimate Racing one? They look exactly the same, of course the one difference I see is you have chosen to coat your manifold where as they provide us with a heat shield
Yeah it pretty much looks the same in design. I am not saying in any way that our manifold out flows UR's. However we do not use steel we use cast iron so that would be the primary difference between both manifolds from as far as I can tell. I will see if we can provide you with flow results since I am entirely ignorant on this topic. I am in now way an engineer or manifold designer, but I can try to find out
In regards to checking the car out, like I stated before the car will be at the NC outerbanks event with plenty of S2K's on hand so people can see the car up close.
We plan on sending out the Car to Cali for another s2k event and the Sema show.

for under $4000 I'm in, that is what the civic's cost and the rsx's
It would be very easy to construct a kit in this price range, however you would not get the quality coatings, fittings, equipment, oil lines ect. This is not a civic but a car of higher caliber. Not trying to sound snooty or anything but I think the average s2k owner wants a the little extas that make kit like a tial wastegate vs a turbonetics one and silicone hose vs rubber.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:15 PM

Terry

The ceramic coated cast manifold is Jet hot silver but jet hot silver is good for about 1300 degree and the SC and turbo S2000 temperature exceeds 1600 degree EGT on the manifold. Someone told me that when the ceramic coating fails and it does after while would that destroy the turbo ? I know that jet hot has 2200 degree coat but only in black, blue and grey. Silver looks much better but will not hold more that 1300 :-(
Old 04-18-2003, 03:31 PM

sky-chicken actually we use another company to do our coatings but they are very similar to Jet hot (Thats why I specified Jet Hot since its pretty household). You are correct the coating supposedly cannot surpass 1300 degrees. However we have an agreement with our coater that warranties the coatings up to 2000 degrees for 3 years. And we warranty all of our fabbed products for 5 years so there should be no problem.
We have utilized the same coatings on our Mazda and Subaru products for some while (1550 temps) without any problems
Old 04-18-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by terry@spool
sky-chicken actually we use another company to do our coatings but they are very similar to Jet hot (Thats why I specified Jet Hot since its pretty household). You are correct the coating supposedly cannot surpass 1300 degrees. However we have an agreement with our coater that warranties the coatings up to 2000 degrees for 3 years. And we warranty all of our fabbed products for 5 years so there should be no problem.
We have utilized the same coatings on our Mazda and Subaru products for some while (1550 temps) without any problems
awesome
Old 04-18-2003, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a question. if sky-chicken is correct and a manifold that fails could damage the turbo and possibly the engine, do you warranty the engine and turbos if one of your parts fail. I think the least of my worries would be replacing the manifold if my turbo and engine were hosed!
Old 04-18-2003, 04:14 PM

We warranty turbos but not engines
Old 04-18-2003, 06:29 PM

Spool:

1. What material is your intercooler piping made out off?
2. What material is your downpipe made out off?
3. What is the spec of your turbo? t3/t04E or t3/t04B

Skychicken:

Even thou Jet hot states that the silver coating can only handling maximum of 1300 Degree, I have not had a problem on my manifold. I had the same silver Jet hot coating for almost a year and it's still the same. I don't see how the coating failure can result in turbo damage unless something hard get messed up in the turbine itselves.
Old 04-18-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We warranty turbos but not engines
so what you are saying is if something you made failed, and broke my stuff....you wouldn't cover it?
That's cool if that's how it is, but I think you should make that very very clear!
Good looking product!
Good luck!
Old 04-18-2003, 06:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by terry@spool
[B]

Quick Reply: Spool Turbo kit