S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Spool Turbo kit

Old 04-18-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any dyno comparisons?
Not yet, we have been street tuning with an in car wideband.
We will get it on the dyno to fine tune.
Terry, will you be at the Florida S2K Supermeet in Orlando next weekend? Look in the Florida club section for links and info. 80+/- cars...
Unfortunatly no
We will be at the NC outerbanks run and we will have the car showcased at Import expressions in D.C. the weekend after that (May 10)

QUOTE]What psi are you running your kit at?? Do you guys produce the pre-programed piggy back computers, or purchase from a different source??[/QUOTE]

We are running the FMU kit at .3bar (little over 4psi)
And the Stage 2 a little over .4bar wich is roughly at 6.5 psi.
We purchase the emanage units from Greddy and program/tune them ourselves
Old 04-18-2003, 12:21 PM

Terry, can you elaborate on how your manfold is "computer engineered" to be better than a "log" type manifold? or how it compares to a UR manifold? Maybe post pictures of the manifold itself.
All of our manifolds are designed on 3d software by (the owner)
They are then analyzed for flow charectersitics and then finally produced out of cast iron weld bends.
How does this differ from your run of the mill cast log manifold?
Well the design and manufacturing process differs greatly.
Our manifolds have tubular runners for each cylinder that help better harness the exhaust energy to efficeintly spool the turbine section of a turbo. A regualr log manifold is poured at a foundry of iron into a "mold"
They are basically blocks of steel that have ports in them, they are very sturdy however they are horribly inefficeint.
I will admit that our manifold does not flow as well as race spec equal length runner manfolds but due to the space constraints on the s2k we chose this design. We have the capabilty of manufacturing an equal length header and may take this route down the road but it will require cutting and modifying to work.
We wanted something that was simple to install on our kits and hacking stuff up was not acceptable.
Another important point regarding equall length manifolds are there construction methods. They need to be properly braced to be effective and if mild steel is utilized it is highly suseptable to rust and cracking within a years time in most cases. Stainless displays excellent corosion durability charecteristics however it conducts heat rapidly and its thermal expansion properties are tremendous. If a stainless manifold is improperly designed it WILL crack easily since its bracing or holding up a heavy turbo while heating up to temps in acess of 1500 f
This is why our equal length tubular manifolds are manufactured from cast iron weld bends as well. This is a very tedious process but the rewards are substantial, especially since you will not have to replace your equall length manifold on a yearly basis
Old 04-18-2003, 01:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by terry@spool
[B]
Old 04-18-2003, 01:39 PM

Terry, I'm also located in Miami and would love to check the car out in person, where are you guys located?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alex, how did I know you will respond to this thread.

Chris C.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:44 PM

As for the heat issue, are you including a heat shield with the kit? Another thing that confused me is in the above post you stated you are using an equal length manifold near the end, so is your manifold equal length or not?
No we coat our manifolds in Jet hot thermal ceramic coating. Similar to stuff they use on the outer skin of the space shuttle, so we do not need to utilize a metal heat sheild around the manifold.
And no our manifolds are not equal length, just stating that we have the capability of making it down the road if it were feasible.
I just ranted off the difference between manifolds, construction methods and materials. Sorry if I confused anyone.

I am unaware how UR or Speedcraft make there manifolds. Somebody just PMed me a pic of the UR manifold and it looks very similar to ours (unsure on what material they use however) And we mount the external wastegate on the manifold. I will post pics of the manifold shortly
Old 04-18-2003, 01:49 PM

The car is in transport to VA for the outerbanks event.
We are opening up a retail/distributor location in Richmond Virginia May 31.
We have a manufacturing facility in homestead but there is no showroom.
We sell our kits primarily threw dealers, we just manufacture and offer tech support
Old 04-18-2003, 02:04 PM

Here are pics of our ceramic coated cast manifold

Old 04-18-2003, 02:18 PM

excuse my ignorance, but just to clear it up. How does your manifold differ from the others, in particular the Ultimate Racing one? They look exactly the same, of course the one difference I see is you have chosen to coat your manifold where as they provide us with a heat shield. Do you have the flow sheets for the manifold? I have spoken with Darryl, who seems to be the contact for Ultimate Racing, their manifold is also tig welded from a heavy gauge steel and is not of cast or stainless steel. I am going to try and drop by the shop soon to check out their car with the kit on it. Can anyone take a look at the spool kit and possible Ultimate kit also just to compare? Or maybe take a few pics and I can see what I can get when I visit UR.

Old 04-18-2003, 02:32 PM

for under $4000 I'm in, that is what the civic's cost and the rsx's

Quick Reply: Spool Turbo kit