S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Splash shield install pics on my CAI

Old 06-24-2003, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new shield and the filter...

How they go together...

Close up of where they join with the clamp...

Installed...

If you do this install then rotate the shield around until the right edge (facing the car) is just at the point where it will still protect the top of the filter from draining water (this pic is before I rotated it so the shield was blocking the air flow slightly). This keeps the radiator opening that you cut out during the CAI install still open to the filter element. Also - rotating like this angles the shield directly towards a drain hole on the other side.

I will no longer worry about rain.

Old 06-24-2003, 04:13 PM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

nicely done, care to share a "how to" ?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I am sorry to say this, but I think you have produced an even less beneficial "fix" than the bypass valve. Sprinkles of water don't cause hydrolock... submersion does. This will not have ANY effect on submersion, but it WILL reduce air flow.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:18 PM

I believe this is only protection against the dripping from the drain holes, gernby. This wouldn't protect you against submersion, but then what will?
Old 06-24-2003, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

I wasn't aware that any protection was needed from drain holes. I have my faux grill cut out in front of my AEM, and drive through heavy rain quite often without any issues at all. My S is a daily driver, and we just finished our rain season here in Dallas.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:26 PM

I guess there is some speculation about water draining onto the filter from the drain hole while the car is parked and saturating the filter, whereafter the low elbow on the intake begins to fill with water, and when the motor is then started up, it sucks up all that water. I would think driving in rain wouldn't be a problem either since rain wouldn't continually be wicked away by the turbulent air. I could be wrong about all this, this is just my current understanding.

EDIT* I also haven't had so much as a burp from the motor in any rain so far with the AEM. I also avoid standing water like the plague.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:03 PM

Ok - before anyone starts ranting about how this blocks airflow and rain doesn't cause hydrolock blah blah blah - PLEASE READ THE NUMEROUS OTHER TOPICS REGARDING ENGINE PROBLEMS DUE TO WATER DRAINAGE!!!!

I know many of you are the first to jump on a newbie for a "which exhaust is best" post - so PLEASE DO A SEARCH!

thanks!

and the airflow is barely restricted - its an open ended filter and the shield covers less than half of the filter and sits at least an inch off of the surface. In addition - the opening in the radiator bay is still directly open to the filter media. Considering the area in which the filter sits - most of the air is drawn from the radiator opening or the faux duct - both of which would still provide direct access to the filter media.

If you don't like it - don't do it. If you worry about rain drainage causing engine sputtering, hesitation, and even hydrolock (do a search) then do it!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I am sorry to say this, but I think you have produced an even less beneficial "fix" than the bypass valve.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Former Sponsor

I have read way too many hydrolock threads already. As someone who HAS actually hydrolocked an engine, I don't think I need to read any more. When I wash my S2000, I thoroughly spray water into both entrances of my AEM. I am quite sure it is filling as much as it can fill. I have never had as much as a sputter either.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:18 PM

also spoon, it looks to me like the shield doesn't interfere with the opening in the air dam where air enters the housing, so it's a bit early to say whether it will block or help the airflow. It could even have a "stuffing" effect, who knows.

again, any info to build this would be helpful. I avoid standing water and am mostly conscerned about water absorption, since my drive way angles up it is a perfect situation for water to collect in the elbow of my AEM.

Quick Reply: Splash shield install pics on my CAI