S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Speedometer gauge flicker

Old 04-02-2007, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure he was being sarcastic. Anyway, the alternator goes bad for a number of reasons and can last for a very wide range of time. My MY92 eclipse GSX had the original alternator till about a month ago, so thats over 15 years. while other people on here have had problems with theirs as little as 5 years down the road. Difficult to tell.

I would check the voltage regulator on the alternator first. Do these things happen when the car isnt running??

Try bumpin some beats with the engine off and see if it still happens...turn on your interior light while you are driving and see if it gets brighter when you increase the revs...

THis will help sort out whether its a battery or alternator or voltage reg or something else...
Old 04-02-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackout,Apr 2 2007, 03:56 PM
Im sure he was being sarcastic.
At least someone gets my sense of humor.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ehhh some people are just
Old 04-02-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by 90crvtec,Apr 2 2007, 01:00 PM
At least someone gets my sense of humor.
online posting is the worst place for sarcasm...it works sometimes, but it is hard most other times.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by blackout,Apr 2 2007, 12:56 PM
Im sure he was being sarcastic. Anyway, the alternator goes bad for a number of reasons and can last for a very wide range of time. My MY92 eclipse GSX had the original alternator till about a month ago, so thats over 15 years. while other people on here have had problems with theirs as little as 5 years down the road. Difficult to tell.

I would check the voltage regulator on the alternator first. Do these things happen when the car isnt running??

Try bumpin some beats with the engine off and see if it still happens...turn on your interior light while you are driving and see if it gets brighter when you increase the revs...

THis will help sort out whether its a battery or alternator or voltage reg or something else...
i'll try these things tonight
Old 04-02-2007, 02:13 PM

My guess would be a loose connection in a wire to a fuse that powers the LED cluster and the radio. That is assuming you are not having any problems starting the car. If the battery is in good enough shape to turn the starter (hundreds of amps for a short time), then it can power lights, LEDs, radio, etc w/o any problem.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by snakeeater,Apr 2 2007, 02:13 PM
My guess would be a loose connection in a wire to a fuse that powers the LED cluster and the radio. That is assuming you are not having any problems starting the car. If the battery is in good enough shape to turn the starter (hundreds of amps for a short time), then it can power lights, LEDs, radio, etc w/o any problem.
well...the flicker is not ON/OFF flicker...

its a lit/dim/lit/dim flicker...

a loose connection would seem to cause an ON/OFF flicker, right?
Old 04-02-2007, 02:42 PM

I'm not sure, it might take the lights a little while to die out (thus seeming dim). It sounds like a voltage drop somewhere, maybe a corroded connection limiting current flow. Of course there may be a voltage regulator or similar part going bad in the LED driver circuit. Look for the cabin lighting fuse and check it first. Maybe its coming loose.

The battery and alternator affect everything electrical on the car. If you are only having problems with a couple circuits, I doubt that its the battery or alternator.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by snakeeater,Apr 2 2007, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure, it might take the lights a little while to die out (thus seeming dim). It sounds like a voltage drop somewhere, maybe a corroded connection limiting current flow. Of course there may be a voltage regulator or similar part going bad in the LED driver circuit. Look for the cabin lighting fuse and check it first. Maybe its coming loose.

The battery and alternator affect everything electrical on the car. If you are only having problems with a couple circuits, I doubt that its the battery or alternator.
seems tough to find the loose wire...

eh...
Old 04-02-2007, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Apr 2 2007, 05:32 PM
well...the flicker is not ON/OFF flicker...

its a lit/dim/lit/dim flicker...

a loose connection would seem to cause an ON/OFF flicker, right?
These are classic symptoms of a bad alternator. You wouldn't be the first s2k owner to report one failing, this seems more common as the cars begin to age.

Quick Reply: Speedometer gauge flicker